• A tent encampment that formed Monday night at Tulane University remained in place Tuesday morning, despite several warnings from the university that protesters are illegally trespassing and would be arrested.

Campus

Tulane moves some classes online as tent encampment remains

• Pro-Palestinian protestors march up Calhoun Street before turning on St. Charles Avenue to protest outside of Gibson Hall on Monday evening.

Police evacuate buildings, make arrests as Palestine encampment starts at Tulane

• Professor Ata Hindi spoke to students gathered in Pocket Park Wednesday evening in protest of Hillel hosting a dinner with an IDF soldier.

Student organizes rally to protest Hillel hosting IDF soldier

• Newcomb

New team-taught classes introduced to SLA, SSE 

• OPINION | Ethical frameworks are integral to STEM education

OPINION | Ethical frameworks are integral to STEM education

• Tulanes Mens Tennis team fell short in the conference semifinals after two upset victories

Sports

Tulane men’s tennis falls short in conference tournament

• OPINION | College students need sex education, too

OPINION | College students need sex education, too

• Colin Norton, a senior studying finance and accounting, rendered these images depicting the evolution of AI using Dall-E. This one portrays Alan Turing in the style of Leonardo da Vincis lab notebook.

Imitation game: Can AI rival student intellect?

• Yale University and Brown University are among the latest Ivy League institutions to reinstate standardized testing requirements for incoming classes.

Elite colleges reinstate standardized testing requirement following new research

• Normalcy is novelty to Tulane’s graduating class

Normalcy is novelty to Tulane’s graduating class

• OPINION | Workout woes: Overcrowding strains Tulanes gym facilities

OPINION | Workout woes: Overcrowding strains Tulane’s gym facilities

• Courtesy of TU Fashion

TU Fashion presents fourth annual fashion show

• Quarterback Kai Horton led the first unit on offense in the spring football game

Defense shines in front of packed Yulman at spring football game

• OPINION | To post or not to post: Commentary on publicizing romantic relationships

OPINION | To post or not to post: Commentary on publicizing romantic relationships

• Nazi camp liberator Bill Kongable spoke to Tulane students about history, trauma and the survival of democracy.

Concentration camp liberator Bill Kongable speaks to students

Tulanian ins, outs for 2024

The ins and outs at Tulane in 2024. (Shivani Bondada)

Ins:

Working out in Reily

One major New Year’s resolution at the start of every year is fitness. The combination of Tulane rearranging Reily Student Recreation Center and the start of the new year led to a packed rec center. Fitness helps improve both one’s physical and mental health and is a major “in” for Tulanians in the year of 2024. Workout classes like hot yoga are also in, especially with the freezing temperatures outside.

Sweats

Comfy clothes are in. Many would describe the first semester at Tulane to be like a fashion show, compared with the second semester, where comfort supersedes looks. With NOLA’s chilly temperatures, sweats and lounge clothes are a huge “in” right now. For the wild nights out, fur coats and puffers are mega IN this semester. 

Studying 

Studying is an “in” this semester. Students pulled too many all-nighters last semester, and procrastinating one’s studying was all too common. Not this semester, though. Studying on time is in, and so is schoolwork, though I hate to say it. This entails the process of finding the perfect spot in Howard Tilton Memorial Library, The Small Family Collaboration Hub or common areas. 

Movie Theater Dates

Movie theater dates are in. With all the new movies coming out like “Anyone But You,” “Mean Girls” and new Netflix specials among others, movie-watching with friends or a significant other at the theater is in. Bringing blankets to the movies is also in; it is a great way to cuddle up in this wintery weather and get toasty while your imagination delights from the big screen. 

Outs:

The Malkin Sacks Commons 

Controversy around the Commons is not new. However, the popularity of this student dining hall has decreased in recent times, making this a major “out” for Tulanians in 2024. Since the Commons’s dismissal of the sandwich-making bar and soda renovations, the hype around the Commons has dwindled. What was once everyone’s go-to dinner spot first semester is now a definite “out.”

Three-Hour Naps

Three-hour naps are out this semester. Yes, while cuddling up in bed is still in, those naps where you feel like you’re in a whole different world when you wake up are out. With many students refraining from 8 a.m.s this semester, sleeping well is an “in” that will replace the need for long, otherworldly, discombobulating naps that somehow make you feel more tired afterwards. Efficient napping, on the other hand, is in. Also, better sleep schedules are in.

“Chasing”

The catchphrase “I don’t chase, I attract, what belongs to me will simply find me” was immensely popular in 2023. 2024 begins the era of self-love, making the era of having low self-worth a major “out” for this semester. Rather than constantly “chasing” negative energy, popular podcasts like “Date Yourself Instead” reflect prioritizing self-love over self-depreciation. 

Fast Fashion

Fast fashion is “out” this semester. As Mardi Gras approaches, many are buying outfits from upperclassmen or from popular thrift stores around NOLA’s Magazine Street, including Buffalo Exchange. New and recycled fashion is “in” this semester, as well. Many clubs and organizations are also having garage sales of old Mardi Gras outfits, and college students are re-selling previous years’ Mardi Gras looks on popular apps like Poshmark and Depop

Procrastinating

Procrastinating is out, and “pre-crastinating” is in for Tulanians as we roll into the spring semester of 2024. First semester is an adjustment for incoming freshmen and in the second semester, Tulanians can prepare better. Getting ahead in classes or doing assignments more promptly is “in” this semester. Because students are more adjusted, better study methods and support systems are in place: using planners or calendars more efficiently, checking emails more frequently and using tutoring resources on campus.