• Professor Ata Hindi spoke to students gathered in Pocket Park Wednesday evening in protest of Hillel hosting a dinner with an IDF soldier.

Student organizes rally to protest Hillel hosting IDF soldier

• Newcomb

New team-taught classes introduced to SLA, SSE 

• OPINION | Ethical frameworks are integral to STEM education

OPINION | Ethical frameworks are integral to STEM education

• Tulanes Mens Tennis team fell short in the conference semifinals after two upset victories

Sports

Tulane men’s tennis falls short in conference tournament

• OPINION | College students need sex education, too

OPINION | College students need sex education, too

• Colin Norton, a senior studying finance and accounting, rendered these images depicting the evolution of AI using Dall-E. This one portrays Alan Turing in the style of Leonardo da Vincis lab notebook.

Imitation game: Can AI rival student intellect?

• Yale University and Brown University are among the latest Ivy League institutions to reinstate standardized testing requirements for incoming classes.

Elite colleges reinstate standardized testing requirement following new research

• Normalcy is novelty to Tulane’s graduating class

Normalcy is novelty to Tulane’s graduating class

• OPINION | Workout woes: Overcrowding strains Tulanes gym facilities

OPINION | Workout woes: Overcrowding strains Tulane’s gym facilities

• Courtesy of TU Fashion

TU Fashion presents fourth annual fashion show

• Quarterback Kai Horton led the first unit on offense in the spring football game

Defense shines in front of packed Yulman at spring football game

• OPINION | To post or not to post: Commentary on publicizing romantic relationships

OPINION | To post or not to post: Commentary on publicizing romantic relationships

• Nazi camp liberator Bill Kongable spoke to Tulane students about history, trauma and the survival of democracy.

Concentration camp liberator Bill Kongable speaks to students

• In 2000, just under 30% of college students reported never having vaginal intercourse whereas two decades later, that number is above 40%.

Not getting laid? Sex recession to blame

• Taylor Swift proves she can still ‘Do It With a Broken Heart’

Taylor Swift proves she can still ‘Do It With a Broken Heart’

Tulane Hullabaloo’s ultimate guide to Super Bowl LVIII

Patrick Mahomes and Brock Purdy set to face off in Las Vegas for Super Bowl LVIII. (Nathan Rich)

Super Bowl LVIII is quickly approaching, and with it comes some excellent storylines. From Swifties taking over the NFL to a Super Bowl LIV rematch, this is shaping up to be a game for the ages. 

The San Francisco 49ers are facing off against the defending champion Kansas City Chiefs in what might go down as one of the most superstar-powered Super Bowls of all time. Superstar quarterback Patrick Mahomes has had arguably the greatest start to a career ever, as he aims for his third Super Bowl victory in just six seasons as the Chiefs’ starting quarterback. On the other side, the 49ers quarterback, Brock Purdy, has had a much different path to the Super Bowl, as he was the very last pick in the 2022 NFL Draft. Purdy burst onto the scene out of nowhere, winning a string of games in 2022 before being named the starting quarterback in 2023. He has the 49ers clicking on all cylinders heading into the Super Bowl.

You can’t talk about superstar players in the Super Bowl without mentioning Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce. While his popularity has certainly grown since he began dating pop star singer Taylor Swift, Kelce is also Mahomes’ favorite target and arguably the best tight end in the league. Eyes across the country are tuning in to watch Kelce and Swift, but make no mistake, Kelce is a stud on the football field.

It will be an action-packed weekend in Las Vegas, and we are here to cover everything you need to know. If you are in the market for some extra cash or simply just want to learn a little more about the biggest storylines, we’ve got you. Below are our best bets for the Super Bowl, carefully curated by our experienced team to help you win big — no promises though.

Pregame Props: 

Benny: While the over for the national anthem is always intriguing, my favorite pregame has to be that the coin toss will result in tails. As the old saying goes, “tails never fails,” and that is the only reasonable explanation I can give to this pick. On Fanduel you can get tails at -104. 

Scott: I can’t argue with “tails never fails,” but I am very intrigued with the +102 odds for the over 90.5 seconds during the national anthem. The national anthem performer this year is Reba McEntire, the Grammy Award-winning country star and actress, and I think she’s got a phenomenal voice. I believe she has the pipes to really extend that last note in “brave” and slam the over on Sunday. 

Game Props:

Benny: The game line is pretty even, with the Chiefs being at +110 on Fanduel in comparison to San Francisco at -130. So I am more interested in the player props for the game. In the Super Bowl, the stars always tend to show out. I expect a big game from Kelce, whose tight end abilities have been overshadowed by his new girlfriend the whole season — apparently she’s famous. I’d like Kelce to hit his over on receiving yards at 72.5, receptions at 6.5 and to score a touchdown at +100. Parlay that together and it’s +216 odds. While you’re at it, maybe even throw in Kelce for MVP at +1200. Kelce has had three touchdowns in the last two playoff games, and put up over 70 yards in each playoff game so far, so it’s not a long shot that he has another big game. 

Scott: While I agree that the player props are more enticing than the game lines, I really like the under 47.5 points. When these two teams matched up in the 2020 Super Bowl, the final score was 31-20, a grand total of 51, which this year would be over. However, Mahomes does not have star wide receiver Tyreek Hill in this matchup, and both defenses are legit. Only four of the Chiefs’ games this season have gone over the 47.5 point total, and two of those games were only by one point. Give me the under. If you are a fan of parlays, I’ve got a small one that I believe is a lock. McCaffrey and Kelce are both touchdown machines and have been scoring at an incredible rate all season. The Super Bowl is where the biggest stars shine the brightest, and as a result McCaffrey and Kelce will both score a touchdown. Parlay McCaffrey Anytime Touchdown at -230 with Kelce Anytime Touchdown at +100 for a safe parlay with very favorable odds. 

Halftime Show Props:

Benny: The favorite song to open Usher’s set is “Yeah!” at +225. However, I think that song is better suited as a closer, especially considering the potential guest appearances. So I am going to go with “DJ Got Us Fallin’ In Love” at +500 to open the set with a bang. While the value is terrible, I like Ludacris as a guest feature at -250. “Take that and rewind it back!”

Scott: This year’s halftime show performer is Usher, and, well, let’s just say Vegas doesn’t listen to his music. These odds may as well have been made by a toddler because I see some gems with lovely payouts. My pick is “OMG” at +800 odds and, frankly, it’s not even close. It has by far the best intro of any of his songs and, as the song title suggests, will make the crowd say omg. If you have any familiarity with Usher, this is a no-brainer.

End of Game Props: 

Benny: There’s no better sports tradition than a Gatorade bath celebration, and out of all the possible colors, I believe that either Kyle Shanahan or Andy Reid will be showered with red Gatorade at the end of the game. Red is a primary color for both teams and is currently the favorite on Fanduel at +260. 

Scott: Eh, red would be pretty lame IMO, so basic and played out. I, personally, am a big lemon-lime Gatorade guy so give me yellow/green at +400 for easy money. From previous experience, lemon-lime has proven to be the most hydrating Gatorade flavor, and I have a feeling the players would agree.