• A shooting at The Republic NOLA in the Warehouse district left one dead and 11 injured.

Shooting at Republic NOLA leaves one dead, 11 injured

Tulane announces new chief of police

• Letter to the Editor | Support Tulane Workers United, help your professors

Letter to the Editor | Support Tulane Workers United, help your professors

• Head coach Lisa Stockton led the Tulane womens basketball program for 30 years.

Tulane women’s basketball ushers in new era with coach Langford

• The UConn Huskies win the 2024 National Championship after a dominant tournament run

Uconn dominates NCAA tournament, earns “blue blood” status

• Green Wave baseball looks to climb up the standings in the American Conference

Green Wave baseball hopes to build off recent victory for conference improvement

• Analyzing satire: Why Helldivers 2 succeeds where Warhammer 40k faltered

Analyzing satire: Why Helldivers 2 succeeds where Warhammer 40k faltered

• Tulanes Middle East and North African Studies introduces students to the rich history, layered politics, diverse cultures, linguistic, and religious traditions of the Middle East and North Africa, according to the Tulane website.

Open letter from staff accuses Tulane of anti-Palestinian bias

• Cowboy Carter explores past music tradition while creating its own

Cowboy Carter explores past music tradition while creating its own

• Tulanes Green Wave Films assists with HBOs ‘The Welcome Table’

Tulane’s Green Wave Films assists with HBO’s ‘The Welcome Table’

• spring semester

Alumni, authors on COVID-19 failures and future pandemics

• Ian Faul is the incoming editor-in-chief of the Tulane Hullabaloo.

Ian Faul elected next Hullabaloo Editor-in-Chief

• Crawfest 2024 prevails in face of crawfish shortage

Crawfest 2024 prevails in face of crawfish shortage

• ‘Deeper Well’: Kacey Musgraves explores self-fulfillment, musical evolution

‘Deeper Well’: Kacey Musgraves explores self-fulfillment, musical evolution

• Tulane’s URBANBuild students build ‘Tiny Homes,’ combatting homelessness

Tulane’s URBANBuild students build ‘Tiny Homes,’ combatting homelessness

It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s Green Wave Man (Courtesy of Parker Waters- Tulane Athletics)

At any major Tulane University sports game, you can probably spot a man wearing green tights, a blue beard and a long cape boldly stamped with the letter “G.” 

That’s the Green Wave Man himself: a Tulane superfan dedicated to igniting the passion inside everyone Uptown. 

While the “Green Wave Man” may seem like just another wildly passionate sports fan with a fitting costume to go with it, his story goes much deeper. 

Kevin Corcoran, the Clark Kent behind Green Wave Man, was a fan before he ever put on the cape and cowl. Corcoran attended his first Tulane football game with his father when he was just five years old, and in 1975, they became season ticket holders. While other season ticket holders came and went, Corcoran and his father remained loyal to the Wave, cheering the team on from the stands.

In 1990, Corcoran put his Tulane fandom on pause while he served in the military during the Gulf War. Despite being overseas, Cocoran remained dedicated to his team. He tracked updates on scores and news throughout his service so that when he came back, he could pick up right where he left off, next to his dad. 

After 28 more years together of watching the Wave take the field, Corcoran’s father passed away in 2018. His father’s passing caused Corcoran to look inward on his fandom, questioning how he could honor his father while supporting the team. 

Then the light bulb went off. As he looked around Yulman Stadium he said he asked himself “Why does Tulane have no superfan?” After all, the Ohio State University has Buck-I-Guy, and the University of Alabama had Dick Coffee, who attended 800 consecutive Alabama regular season games. 

That Halloween, Corcoran and his son wanted to dress up as a mascot for their favorite teams: Corcoran for Tulane and his son — who loved the color red — for the University of Cincinnati. While working for FedEx, he stumbled upon red and green tights, the perfect foundation for what would become an iconic costume. 

Later, he added Green Wave arm sleeves that he got at a Tulane basketball game, blue hair from a Dr. Seuss Thing One costume, a mask and a customized cape with the letter “G,” which he ordered on Amazon, to complete the outfit. 

With his costume complete, Corcoran returned to the stands to become more than just a fan, but a symbol of hope for the improvement of Tulane athletics. “I try to do as much on social media just to get people involved with Tulane,” he said. 

Green Wave football has taken off in recent years, with an American Athletic Conference championship, Cotton Bowl victory and a handful of NFL players. Tulane fans have been eager to see the Wave play, but with all the buzz surrounding the team, it is easy to forget who’s been supporting the team all along. 

While the Green Wave Man’s persona is only five years old, Corcoran has been bleeding green and light blue for nearly his entire life, and his relentless devotion has led him to the incredible costume we see at some of the biggest Tulane sporting events. 

Corcoran has maintained his love for the Wave through it all, refusing to allow his military service and his father’s passing stop him from cheering the Wave on. While the cape and cowl may fool you, the Green Wave Man is as real as they come.