• Professor Ata Hindi spoke to students gathered in Pocket Park Wednesday evening in protest of Hillel hosting a dinner with an IDF soldier.

Student organizes rally to protest Hillel hosting IDF soldier

• Newcomb

New team-taught classes introduced to SLA, SSE 

• OPINION | Ethical frameworks are integral to STEM education

OPINION | Ethical frameworks are integral to STEM education

• Tulanes Mens Tennis team fell short in the conference semifinals after two upset victories

Sports

Tulane men’s tennis falls short in conference tournament

• OPINION | College students need sex education, too

OPINION | College students need sex education, too

• Colin Norton, a senior studying finance and accounting, rendered these images depicting the evolution of AI using Dall-E. This one portrays Alan Turing in the style of Leonardo da Vincis lab notebook.

Imitation game: Can AI rival student intellect?

• Yale University and Brown University are among the latest Ivy League institutions to reinstate standardized testing requirements for incoming classes.

Elite colleges reinstate standardized testing requirement following new research

• Normalcy is novelty to Tulane’s graduating class

Normalcy is novelty to Tulane’s graduating class

• OPINION | Workout woes: Overcrowding strains Tulanes gym facilities

OPINION | Workout woes: Overcrowding strains Tulane’s gym facilities

• Courtesy of TU Fashion

TU Fashion presents fourth annual fashion show

• Quarterback Kai Horton led the first unit on offense in the spring football game

Defense shines in front of packed Yulman at spring football game

• OPINION | To post or not to post: Commentary on publicizing romantic relationships

OPINION | To post or not to post: Commentary on publicizing romantic relationships

• Nazi camp liberator Bill Kongable spoke to Tulane students about history, trauma and the survival of democracy.

Concentration camp liberator Bill Kongable speaks to students

• In 2000, just under 30% of college students reported never having vaginal intercourse whereas two decades later, that number is above 40%.

Not getting laid? Sex recession to blame

• Taylor Swift proves she can still ‘Do It With a Broken Heart’

Taylor Swift proves she can still ‘Do It With a Broken Heart’

Student testifies before Congress voicing antisemitism issues on campus

election meddling
The Congressional Committee on Education and the Workforce held a bipartisan roundtable to give a platform to Jewish college students’ concerns about antisemitism, including Tulane senior Yasmeen Ohebsion. (Courtesy of DXR)

Tulane University senior Yasmeen Ohebsion testified before Congress last month to share her and her peers’ stories about experiencing antisemitism at Tulane.

The Congressional Committee on Education & the Workforce held a bipartisan roundtable to hear from nine Jewish students about their experiences with antisemitism on their campuses. Attending students hailed from universities such as Harvard University, University of Pennsylvania, Columbia University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology. 

Ohebsion spoke about her experience during a clash between pro-Palestine and pro-Israel students on Freret Street in October. She said she was walking to the Jewish Studies department when “a woman accosted [her] and screamed in [her] face: ‘[expletive] you, Jew.’”

“This is my reality as a Jewish student who wears a Star of David,” she said at the hearing. 

Ohebsion said she reported the incident after the rally to the university’s official bias and discrimination reporting form. “The response was to mischaracterize this antisemitism as political speech and offer me mental health resources; no other action was taken,” Ohebsion said. 

The Department of Education is still investigating Tulane for a potential civil rights violation after the Oct. 26 rally, where a rally between pro-Palestine and pro-Israel protesters on Freret turned briefly violent leaving several students injured and four people arrested.

Ohebsion said a group of Tulane students approached the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion with complaints regarding antisemitic incidents.

“They were instructed to document these incidents,” Ohebsion said. “These students did not receive a response from the EDI office for six weeks. Their document still has not been acknowledged by the EDI office almost three months later.”

Tulane spokesperson Mike Strecker said federal law prevents the school from commenting on specific student concern reports or their follow-ups. 

“Our practice is to respond immediately and fully to reports of bias or discrimination, in light of the information made available to the university,” he said. “When a bias incident is reported, our case manager’s priority is to follow up so that the student is supported and to connect the student with the Office of Student Conduct who can talk the student through their rights and options under the conduct process.”

During the discussion, Democratic and Republican committee representatives asked the students about their experiences with antisemitism at their universities. 

Texas Republican Rep. Nathaniel Moran asked Ohebsion for more details about the delay from the EDI office and if she has received any response. 

“Medical students of Tulane’s medical school reached out to the DEI office expressing that they felt unsafe after a slew of antisemitic incidents, including swastikas carved into classrooms,” Ohebsion said. “After sending that document to the university, they didn’t even receive a reply at all for six weeks. The reply after six weeks, on one of the last days of last semester, included something along the lines of, ‘Our office is always open if you want to talk.’ Those students have not received a response that addresses their document at all.”

When asked about the swastika incident, Strecker said, “We have received incomplete information regarding such an incident and are working to gather more details. We will hold anyone accountable who engages in such a flagrant and despicable violation of university conduct policies.”

“I am here imploring you, our policymakers, to compel my university to step up and show us what American values look like,” Ohebsion said. “We will not be silent until they act.”