• Green Wave baseball heads to the Corvallis regional after winning back-to-back conference championships

Green Wave Baseball wins back-to-back conference championships, will play in Corvallis regional

• Available supplies include, but are not limited to, syringes, tourniquets, cookers and other paraphernalia, provided to cut down on sharing within the community.

Harm reduction in New Orleans, from pavement up

• From blues to Cajun cuisine: the best of Jazz Fest 2024

From blues to Cajun cuisine: the best of Jazz Fest 2024

• Police have found two video cameras in campus bathrooms in recent months and arrested one former employee but said the cases do not appear to be connected.

Faculty, students deliver letters condemning Tulane’s response to pro-Palestinian encampment

• Screenshot

Letter to the Editor | Tulane faculty letter concerning campus protest

• Jack Zinsser shows face.

Helluva Hubbalagoo

• Winners announced: Arcade A+ Awards

Winners announced: Arcade A+ Awards

• Michael Pratt was selected by the Green Bay Packers with the 245th overall pick in the seventh round of the 2024 NFL draft.

Pratt, Jackson, others find landing spots in NFL

• Letter from the Editor | In good hands

Letter from the Editor | In good hands

• Zion Williamsons injury in the NBA play-in was the final nail in the coffin for the New Orleans Pelicans season.

Remembering New Orleans Pelicans: October 2023 – April 2024

• Participants of the 2024 Tulane Student Film Festival. Courtesy of the Film Festival.

Tulane hosts third annual student film festival

• OPINION | Final exams: Are we finally done with them?

OPINION | Final exams: Are we finally done with them?

• OPINION | Science or not: Rethinking core curriculum

OPINION | Science or not: Rethinking core curriculum

• Screenshot

Letter to the Editor | Silent killer: Why World Malaria Day matters

• Police stand in front of protesters early Wednesday morning.

Pro-Palestinian protesters demand charges be dropped after police sweep at Tulane

Student testifies before Congress voicing antisemitism issues on campus

election meddling
The Congressional Committee on Education and the Workforce held a bipartisan roundtable to give a platform to Jewish college students’ concerns about antisemitism, including Tulane senior Yasmeen Ohebsion. (Courtesy of DXR)

Tulane University senior Yasmeen Ohebsion testified before Congress last month to share her and her peers’ stories about experiencing antisemitism at Tulane.

The Congressional Committee on Education & the Workforce held a bipartisan roundtable to hear from nine Jewish students about their experiences with antisemitism on their campuses. Attending students hailed from universities such as Harvard University, University of Pennsylvania, Columbia University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology. 

Ohebsion spoke about her experience during a clash between pro-Palestine and pro-Israel students on Freret Street in October. She said she was walking to the Jewish Studies department when “a woman accosted [her] and screamed in [her] face: ‘[expletive] you, Jew.’”

“This is my reality as a Jewish student who wears a Star of David,” she said at the hearing. 

Ohebsion said she reported the incident after the rally to the university’s official bias and discrimination reporting form. “The response was to mischaracterize this antisemitism as political speech and offer me mental health resources; no other action was taken,” Ohebsion said. 

The Department of Education is still investigating Tulane for a potential civil rights violation after the Oct. 26 rally, where a rally between pro-Palestine and pro-Israel protesters on Freret turned briefly violent leaving several students injured and four people arrested.

Ohebsion said a group of Tulane students approached the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion with complaints regarding antisemitic incidents.

“They were instructed to document these incidents,” Ohebsion said. “These students did not receive a response from the EDI office for six weeks. Their document still has not been acknowledged by the EDI office almost three months later.”

Tulane spokesperson Mike Strecker said federal law prevents the school from commenting on specific student concern reports or their follow-ups. 

“Our practice is to respond immediately and fully to reports of bias or discrimination, in light of the information made available to the university,” he said. “When a bias incident is reported, our case manager’s priority is to follow up so that the student is supported and to connect the student with the Office of Student Conduct who can talk the student through their rights and options under the conduct process.”

During the discussion, Democratic and Republican committee representatives asked the students about their experiences with antisemitism at their universities. 

Texas Republican Rep. Nathaniel Moran asked Ohebsion for more details about the delay from the EDI office and if she has received any response. 

“Medical students of Tulane’s medical school reached out to the DEI office expressing that they felt unsafe after a slew of antisemitic incidents, including swastikas carved into classrooms,” Ohebsion said. “After sending that document to the university, they didn’t even receive a reply at all for six weeks. The reply after six weeks, on one of the last days of last semester, included something along the lines of, ‘Our office is always open if you want to talk.’ Those students have not received a response that addresses their document at all.”

When asked about the swastika incident, Strecker said, “We have received incomplete information regarding such an incident and are working to gather more details. We will hold anyone accountable who engages in such a flagrant and despicable violation of university conduct policies.”

“I am here imploring you, our policymakers, to compel my university to step up and show us what American values look like,” Ohebsion said. “We will not be silent until they act.”