• Screenshot

Letter to the Editor | Tulane faculty letter concerning campus protest

• Jack Zinsser shows face.

Helluva Hubbalagoo

• Winners announced: Arcade A+ Awards

Winners announced: Arcade A+ Awards

• Michael Pratt was selected by the Green Bay Packers with the 245th overall pick in the seventh round of the 2024 NFL draft.

Pratt, Jackson, others find landing spots in NFL

• Letter from the Editor | In good hands

Letter from the Editor | In good hands

• Zion Williamsons injury in the NBA play-in was the final nail in the coffin for the New Orleans Pelicans season.

Remembering New Orleans Pelicans: October 2023 – April 2024

• Participants of the 2024 Tulane Student Film Festival. Courtesy of the Film Festival.

Tulane hosts third annual student film festival

• OPINION | Final exams: Are we finally done with them?

OPINION | Final exams: Are we finally done with them?

• OPINION | Science or not: Rethinking core curriculum

OPINION | Science or not: Rethinking core curriculum

• Screenshot

Letter to the Editor | Silent killer: Why World Malaria Day matters

• Police stand in front of protesters early Wednesday morning.

Pro-Palestinian protesters demand charges be dropped after police sweep at Tulane

• A protester wearing a keffiyeh stands before police.

Tulane arrests 14 protesters, clears pro-Palestinian encampment

• Encampment in front of Gibson

Protest passes 24-hour mark as Tulane seeks to contain encampment

• Letter to the Editor | Open letter to Tulane administration in support of Palestine

Letter to the Editor | Open letter to Tulane administration in support of Palestine

• Letter to the Editor | Open letter: Remove unregistered protest encampment on Tulane property

Letter to the Editor | Open letter: Remove unregistered protest encampment on Tulane property

OPINION | To post or not to post: Commentary on publicizing romantic relationships

Mia Mancheski

Most of us have come to the understanding that one’s social media presence is not necessarily a reflection of their life, but highlights of their best moments. 

On an interpersonal level, a person’s Instagram may not reflect on a fight they had with their best friend or significant other, or the rocky relationship they might have with a family member. However, it is easy for us to envy people and relationships we see online, wanting to emulate their happiness.

Still, we look at the snippets of relationships online as inspiration for our own. And some of us may even engage in sharing the highlights of our relationships, even if we don’t show every aspect. 

To understand this phenomenon, we can look at the anecdotes of 20 different students at Tulane University in an independently conducted survey. Seventy-five percent of respondents indicated that they were either in a relationship or casually dating, while the other 25% said that they were single. 

Fifty-five percent of those dating or in relationships stated that they were somewhere in between “moderately” private about their relationships, meaning that they only occasionally post about it, and “moderately” public, meaning that they may have a few posts about their relationship. 

When selecting statements about how they felt about seeing other relationships online, 65% of respondents felt “indifferent to seeing other relationships online” and said they understand their interpersonal relationship is unique, different from others that are shared through social media. Sixty percent agreed with the statement that social media is something that is “meant to be taken lightly and that people will only show off their best moments.”

The survey respondents in relationships are mostly aware that social media does not represent the full picture of a romantic relationship; however, a lot have made the conscious decision to post about their relationship. Why is this the case?

An article from Psychology Today suggests that the reason some couples may feel the need to share about their relationship is the desire to connect with one’s partner by displaying how much they care about them or love them. 

Posting your significant other may also suggest to your expanded social networks that you are happily dating somebody and that it is a “highlight” of your life.

There are many ways to post about your relationship. Some couples may “soft launch,” which is sharing photos that discreetly show that you are with another person. This offers a way to hint at the fact that you are in a relationship while being a little more private by not exposing the name of the other person or what they may look like. 

On the other end of the spectrum, there is the “hard launch,” or when you finally decide to post a picture with your significant other tagged in it. 

There are many perfect opportunities to debut your relationship or to continue to post about it: anniversaries, birthdays, Valentine’s Day or other miscellaneous celebration days such as National Boyfriend Day or National Girlfriend Day. These hard launch posts often signify the best moments of a romantic relationship or markers of special occasions that a couple wants to share with their “world.”

There is no wrong or right way to do a romantic relationship, and the reality is that most people in relationships are aware that social media may not be the most accurate portrayal. Every romantic relationship has its ups and downs, and it is understandably hard to see other couples happy while you are at a low point. 

What we see on social media does not fully encapsulate the human experience, and while many are aware of this truth, sometimes we have to be reminded. 

Sharing your relationship is a decision for you and your partner to make, and it is important to acknowledge that publicizing your relationship does not make it “perfect,” and every interpersonal relationship portrayed online is much more complex than a simple anniversary post.