• Green Wave baseball heads to the Corvallis regional after winning back-to-back conference championships

Green Wave Baseball wins back-to-back conference championships, will play in Corvallis regional

• Available supplies include, but are not limited to, syringes, tourniquets, cookers and other paraphernalia, provided to cut down on sharing within the community.

Harm reduction in New Orleans, from pavement up

• From blues to Cajun cuisine: the best of Jazz Fest 2024

From blues to Cajun cuisine: the best of Jazz Fest 2024

• Police have found two video cameras in campus bathrooms in recent months and arrested one former employee but said the cases do not appear to be connected.

Faculty, students deliver letters condemning Tulane’s response to pro-Palestinian encampment

• Screenshot

Letter to the Editor | Tulane faculty letter concerning campus protest

• Jack Zinsser shows face.

Helluva Hubbalagoo

• Winners announced: Arcade A+ Awards

Winners announced: Arcade A+ Awards

• Michael Pratt was selected by the Green Bay Packers with the 245th overall pick in the seventh round of the 2024 NFL draft.

Pratt, Jackson, others find landing spots in NFL

• Letter from the Editor | In good hands

Letter from the Editor | In good hands

• Zion Williamsons injury in the NBA play-in was the final nail in the coffin for the New Orleans Pelicans season.

Remembering New Orleans Pelicans: October 2023 – April 2024

• Participants of the 2024 Tulane Student Film Festival. Courtesy of the Film Festival.

Tulane hosts third annual student film festival

• OPINION | Final exams: Are we finally done with them?

OPINION | Final exams: Are we finally done with them?

• OPINION | Science or not: Rethinking core curriculum

OPINION | Science or not: Rethinking core curriculum

• Screenshot

Letter to the Editor | Silent killer: Why World Malaria Day matters

• Police stand in front of protesters early Wednesday morning.

Pro-Palestinian protesters demand charges be dropped after police sweep at Tulane

Letter from the Editor | In good hands

As a young adult in the graduating class of 2024 who entered college in the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, I’ve come to realize that life — both its good, bad and everything in between — does not stop for anyone. 

And, luckily, neither does the news. 

Those who have followed The Hullabaloo’s coverage of the Tulane University community this past year likely experienced life in similar ways that I did. 

We were enthused by the momentum of Tulane’s football team as they progressed towards a second consecutive American Athletic Conference championship game. And although the Tulane year seemed to be progressing as normal, the whole world paused when Hamas attacked Israel on Oct. 7. As Israel waged war, protests and violence broke out nationally on American college campuses. Tulane was no exception: Freret Street turned into the site of a faceoff between protestors on Oct. 26, leaving three students injured and resulting in several arrests. 

Students on all sides of the issue grappled with what effects international conflict would have with their daily lives, and somehow, the school year trudged on. 

After a Green Wave loss to Southern Methodist University at the American Athletic Conference championship, the community was shocked at former head coach Willie Fritz’s decision to leave for the University of Houston. 

Still, students studied through midterms, participants danced at Greek Groove in McAlister Auditorium, comedians visited campus and flooding forced us to show up, rain or shine. 

By December, Tulane University, just like any other college campus, slowed down and cleared out as students traveled home for winter break. Upon our return to campus, sickness spread through sorority recruitment, and Sodexo found its way out of the Commons as Aramark formed a new partnership with Tulane. We finished assignments and we geared up for an early Mardi Gras, likely spending a little too much on drinks, food, clothes and whatever it is The Mushroom sells. 

Tibetan Buddhist monks came to Howard-Tilton Memorial Library to create sand mandalas, and ground broke on a Divine Nine plot near the newly-completed Steven and Jann Paul Hall for Science and Engineering. Ariana Grande released her latest album, and Tulane announced that the class of 2027 would, as juniors, have to live on campus

Speakers arrived for Book Fest, and students devised summer plans while finalizing their spring break schedules and studying for spring midterms. Seniors started to take graduation photos and tried to remain optimistic about post-grad life as the rest of campus prepared to wind down to a smooth end of the year. 

But as a group of non-tenured faculty filed for union recognition and protests once again broke out on campus resulting in a two-day encampment on the Gibson Hall lawn, we were once again reminded that colleges are — as they should be — places where broader movements begin and political action propagates, despite our hopes for a calm campus. 

The Hullabaloo has tried to keep up with it all. 

What a year it’s been. As I write my final letter as editor-in-chief of The Hullabaloo, I’m truly astonished with everything this newspaper and its staff have accomplished through the stories told since our first print edition was published in August 2023. 

Through all of our coverage this year, we have tried to illuminate the overt and hidden realities of life at Tulane. In news stories, opinion pieces, reviews, game recaps and features, we aimed to cover as much as we could, as thoroughly as possible, while maintaining a strong sense of editorial integrity. 

Even while publishing news as scheduled, we expanded into new frontiers. We boosted and reorganized our social media strategy, introduced a new podcast and refreshed our print style, approaching journalism with stylistic consistency and professionalism. 

The Tulane Hullabaloo is a paper that, at the beginning of the year, I was proud to lead. As I move on from Tulane University and The Hullabaloo, I see in the rearview a paper I am honored to leave behind. 

Our board and staff members are insightful, thoughtful, critical and careful, and they approach their work with a level of dedication impressive for any demographic — let alone for college students. I know these staff members will take what we’ve built on in my time at The Hullabaloo and accelerate it into the future to meet the needs of a dynamic, ever-changing community that constantly confronts new challenges. 

I extend my deepest thank yous to the Managing and General Board members: to Martha Sanchez, Alexia Narun and Hannah Levitan, for always being available and for working tirelessly to perfect language, check facts, remove oxford commas and publish swiftly while participating in intense editorial conversations; to Nathan Rich for creating 10 beautiful print newspapers and catering to every visual-related dream; to Matthew Schuelke for cheerfully keeping our finances afloat and to Doxey Kamara for always checking in and ensuring our wellness. 

Thank you to Lindsay Ruhl, Ellie Cowen, Olivia Warren, Aidan McCahill, Casey Wade, Carly Barovick, Ian Faul, Max Handler, Sophie Borislow, Benny Greenspan, Scott Houtkin, Shivani Bondada, Taylor Fishman, Campbell Harris, Ruby Motz, Riley Hearon, Arushi Kher, Brooke Mason, Nate Miller, Ellie Weko, Lila Mago, Jessica Clute and Patrick Johnson for your incredible work and dedication that makes this paper run. Thank you to Nick Taylor for your crosswords that constantly stump everyone and to Jack Zinsser for your jokes that push the envelope. And finally, thank you Tel Francois-Bailliet for all your support and advice and sincere dedication to independent student media. 

To incoming Editor-in-Chief Ian Faul, and the rest of next year’s staff, I wish you the best of luck, although I know you won’t need it, and I am so excited to see what you do. 

Thank you to the Tulane community for tuning in every Thursday. I assure you, you are in good hands. 

As readers, I encourage you to participate. I encourage you to read, to think and to share your stories. I encourage you to write. Ask yourself, what do you have to say to your community — what do you have to say about it? How will you say it? But most importantly, how can you use truth to change your community to build a better one?