How to buff up your Bruff game

Regina LoBiondo, Staff Reporter

As the days remaining in the school year dwindle, so does the patience of those with a meal plan. The school year began with such promise, but now meals at Bruff have grown monotonous. How many times have you eaten the same turkey sandwich? How many times have you checked the soups only to find out it’s chili … again? Its mediocrity is thoroughly underwhelming. You think you’ve seen it all, but don’t you want to rekindle the romance you once had with Bruff as a wide-eyed first-semester freshman? Check out these tips to revamp your Bruff meals and long for the glory days no more. 

You know the classics, ice cream sandwich, grilled cheese, root beer float, but here are some hacks for the truly savvy Bruffer. 

Make your own pasta bar

Those of us who were here last year know that losing the pasta bar was an unfortunate casualty of “New Bruff.” Bring your pasta bowl back to its former glory by adding your own flare. Microwave chicken from the sandwich bar and veggies from the salad bar to mix in with the pasta of your choice. Top with parmesan cheese.  

Chicken and Waffles

Fried chicken Wednesdays are a personal favorite. But why settle for the same meal every Wednesday? Make a waffle to accompany your chicken and enjoy a Southern favorite.

Dessert Waffle

While you’re making waffles, make another for your dessert. Add chocolate chips from the ice cream bar to the mix for a chocolate chip waffle. Scoop some ice cream and cut up strawberries to garnish the top. Melt chocolate and peanut butter together in the microwave for a warm, gooey sauce to top it off. 

Chocolate covered strawberries

This one’s simple: Melt chocolate chips in the microwave, dip strawberries, enjoy!

There are also alternatives for the health-conscious Bruffer. The Arcade has some tips for them as well.

Step up your salad game

It may seem like salads are limited to salad bar, but there is a whole world of salad toppings out there just waiting for you to use them. Add a sweet potato to spice up your greens or replace your usual dressing with hummus and lime. Think outside the bar.

Steamed veggie and quinoa bowl

Fill a bowl with spinach, carrots, corn and any vegetables of your choosing. Top with quinoa and cheese. Microwave and enjoy. 

Dessert yogurt

If you love ice cream, but can’t commit the calories to every meal, replace it with yogurt. Make it one of two ways: either by adding raspberries or strawberries to strawberry yogurt and topping with chocolate chips, or adding Oreo crumbles to plain yogurt and eating it with peanut butter. A sliced up banana also goes well with either recipe. 

These are just a few of the ways to revitalize your Bruff meals. Don’t settle for the usual. Try something new. With a little bit of creativity and effort Bruff can be made great again.