Student Organization Leadership Fair succeeds despite storms, flooding

On a Friday afternoon, with flooding water at their feet and pelting rain overhead, more than 50 Tulane campus leaders made their way to the Lavin-Bernick Center for the Student Organization Leadership Fair.

The program, held on April 1 in the LBC’s Qatar Ballroom, sought to connect student organization representatives with the on-campus contacts their club might need. Behind the wooden tables bordering the room sat various administrators and organization heads, each with an individual array of expertise and guidance to offer.

In its first year, the fair acted as a trial for what was considered by many a much-needed opportunity. 

For Katie Cannella, the assistant director of student development in the LBC, inspiration to host the event came from seeing many student organizations struggle to find the right resources.

“The students that work here were giving feedback about organizations not having full confidence in their ability to select the right setup for rooms,” Cannella said. “They were often coming in saying, ‘I didn’t know what I was asking for,’ or ‘I actually need this, can you give me this?’ I’d rather give you what you need on the front end so that you can come in and move right into what you need to do.”

All student groups received a total of three tickets to the program, which included sandwiches and snacks from Tulane’s Olive Blue catering. Two tickets were designated to student leaders, with the third for the organization’s faculty adviser.

Those in attendance found the program alleviated many of the logistical concerns that their clubs face. 

“It’s really helpful because I’m going to be the president for the Chinese Student Club next year, and we have some pretty big events with a lot of people coming,” junior Chloe Chen said. “So it’s great to learn about everything that we can ask for from the school and the support that they would give us.”

It hasn’t always been so easy, however.

“In the previous years we really had to figure out everything by ourselves, how to register for an event, how to get tables,” Chen said.

To fix this, the event planners emphasized making the program accessible to students. They encouraged not only attendance but active participation. Freshmen Jillian Aveny and Hannah Cohen, executive board members of the Anthropology Club, think the atmosphere of the event played a large role in its success.

“We came to learn about and get a feel for what a leadership position is like, and to see all the requirements of a club because the Anthropology Club just got status as an official organization,” Aveny said. “It’s really just a learning experience coming here, and everybody’s been so friendly and receptive to questions.”

When communication between Tulane administrators and students is often so hard to facilitate, Cannella sees the chance for face to face interaction as invaluable.

“It makes it so much easier to reach out because you have their business card, you have their email or phone number,” Cannella said. “You have that relationship started.”

Smita Ruzicka, the assistant vice president of campus life at Tulane, believes the positive reception of the fair’s initial run is indicative of good things to come.

“I am very pleased with our first attempt at this event,” Ruzicka said. “We were nervous that a lot of people wouldn’t show up because of the rain, and also because it is Friday, but I am very happy with the turnout. Talking to students, I feel like this event has been useful to those who attended and I think next year it is going to be even bigger and better.”