USG Presidential election results in Friday run-off

Kate Jamison, Online News Editor

The Tulane Undergraduate Student Government held elections this week to fill the executive board positions. The race for president, which had three candidates, was too close to call. A run-off election will be held on Friday to choose a winner. 

While the polls were open on Monday and Tuesday, Autumn Gibbons got 46 percent (1,096 votes), Josh Rosenbaum got 41 percent (968 votes) and Michelle Story got 14 percent (325 votes). Because neither Gibbons nor Rosenbaum received more than 50 percent, a run-off must be held between the two. 

Rosenbaum, who currently serves as a senator on USG, said his campaign is centered around making USG more connected to the student body. His full platform can be read here.

“USG is extremely disconnected from the student body, but it doesn’t have to be,” he said. “In fact, if we enact bold reform to make USG more communicative, connected, collaborative, representative, equitably funded and welcoming, it can be a force of incredible good in our community.”

Currently serving as the vice president of finance on USG, Gibbons said her campaign is about student support. Her entire platform can be seen here. 

“My platform was designed to show that the student government’s priority is to support the students and build a community of leaders and future leaders that are striving to make Tulane the best it can be,” she said. “I’m running to start conversations about mental health and sexual violence, to allow queer students and people of color to have their own seat at the table and to make this campus a safer place for everyone.”

Gibbons was an associate news editor for The Hullabaloo during the 2013-14 academic year. 

The other executive board positions were all uncontested, with every VP candidate running unopposed. Samuel Levin, Rebecca Lederkramer, Trace Hancock, Tyler Margaretten and Chelsey McCarty each received 100 percent of the vote in their respective elections. 

The polls for the run-off election will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday. The link to the ballot will be emailed to Tulane students via their student email.