New Orleans community deserves workshop series

It was recently announced that Tulane’s School of Continuing Studies will be offering a series of workshops on the Madison, Mississippi campus. These workshops will be single-day classes covering a variety of topics, including photography, stress management and grant writing. At only $10 a class, this is a fantastic way to connect the school with the neighborhood’s residents. Tulane should extend these workshops to New Orleans, as a way to bring the university closer to the greater New Orleans community.

The Tulane community has long been criticized for not really existing as a part of New Orleans. Even providing volunteer efforts and acts of service in the area, Tulane does exist in a kind of bubble, separated from the rest of the city. Offering these workshops to the public would bring New Orleans and Tulane closer together. It would also provide valuable information to people who might not otherwise be able to access it.

Some other ways to better integrate this program would be to offer reduced or no-cost workshops to people in certain areas, or offer shuttle transportation to people living further away. Workshops geared specifically to certain age groups (from high schoolers to senior citizens) would also be a fantastic initiative. Offering an opportunity to organize a workshop to Tulane students or class groups would also be useful experience for students.

The School of Continuing Studies offering workshops is a great move and it can be even better. The Uptown campus should learn from the Madison campus and provide such a series. It would be beneficial to the university, Tulane affiliates and the people of New Orleans.