Clean first half not enough for Tulane in 73-54 loss at No. 24 SMU

Mackenna Barker, Online Sports Editor

It was a tough weekend for Tulane basketball. After the women (19-10, 10-7 American Athletic Conference) bolted ahead in the first quarter and gave No. 1 Connecticut (27-0, 17-0 AAC) its most lackluster start and shooting percentage all season, the Wave fell 80-40 Saturday at Connecticut. It was a similar story in Dallas for the men’s team on Sunday.

Tulane men’s basketball (10-19, 3-13 AAC) powered ahead to a 29-28 lead at intermission on a strong first half performance at No. 24 SMU (24-4, 12-4 AAC). The second half saw a very different game. With 11 minutes left to play, the Wave trailed by just 4, but the Mustangs ripped ahead to top the Wave 73-54.

The Wave kept the game in control in the first half, shooting a clean 40.7 percent from the field, 40 percent from beyond the arc, while committing just six turnovers. Meanwhile, the Mustangs made 37.9 percent of shots in the first with 33.3 percent from the 3-point line.

The second half saw the dramatic turn-around for the teams. The Wave could not stop the Mustangs on any front, as SMU outscored Tulane 46-24 in the second half. The Mustangs shot 64 percent from the field and went 3 for five from beyond the arc. SMU picked up 14 points off turnovers while Tulane managed just 3 in the second half.

Meanwhile, SMU dominated the boards throughout the contest, pulling down 42 rebounds to Tulane’s 20.

Redshirt-junior guard Malik Morgan tallied 15 points for the Wave and redshirt-sophomore guard Cameron Reynolds added 9 points and a team high five rebounds off the bench.

Tulane takes on UCF (11-16, 5-11 AAC) at 6 p.m. Wednesday in Orlando, Florida before returning home to wrap up its regular season against Temple (18-10, 12-4 AAC) at 1 p.m. Sunday in Devlin Fieldhouse.