Baseball shows off improved skills at Fall Ball World Series

Junior outfielder Jarett DeHart swings the bat in the Fall Ball World Series. DeHart hit a home run in the first game of the series to contribute to the Green team’s win, but the team ultimately lost the series to the Blue Team 3-2 on October 29.

Samantha Shafia, Associate Sports Editor

As Tulane Baseball’s offseason play came to a close, the team displayed its hard work to its coaches in a three-day inter-squad competition deemed the Fall Ball World Series.

The teams were formed by senior captains Tim Yandel and Emerson Gibbs who each selected their players on Fall Ball Draft Day.

Players on both teams focused on showcasing what they learned during Fall Ball throughout the series. They also identified skills that they need to continue working on for this upcoming spring season.

“I really think that we were able to identify some issues,” head coach David Pierce said. “It was just the pitching and the delivery, and offensively, I think that we were very aggressive.”

Over the course of the three days, Pierce observed the pitchers that will dominate the roster this coming spring season.

Though freshman pitcher Ross Massey allowed six runs in his four innings pitched, Pierce expects Massey to receive many pitching opportunities this coming season.

“Ross is going to pitch a lot for us,” Pierce said. “He’s one of our top three left-handers.”

Redshirt senior pitcher Trevor Simms gave up his only run of Fall Ball and has put himself in a position to be a productive contributor throughout the coming season.

“His stuff has been outstanding,” Pierce said. “A fastball up to 94 and a slider up to 88. He’s been what we have expected. It was just a rough ending for him.”

While the pitchers worked to produce fast, dumbfounding pitches, the freshmen tried to capitalize on the opportunity to exhibit their abilities and what they had to offer this season.

Pierce sees freshman outfielder Grant Witherspoon possibly becoming an integral part, not only of the relief players, but also of the starting roster.

“I think that Grant Witherspoon has done an exceptional job for us,” Pierce said. “He’s going to give us a little spark from the freshmen. We’ll possibly pull him up for games or starting some.”

Other freshmen like outfielders Tyler Heinrichs and Anthony Forte have caught Pierce’s eyes for their knowledge of the game and their dedication to the team.

“These kids can run, they understand the game and it’s exciting to coach them because we’re not worried about effort,” Pierce said. “They want to do well.”

Aside from displaying its abilities, the team learned the importance of remaining determined throughout tough, close games.

“You never know what’s going to happen, but we came out and we stayed confident even when we were down two runs in the eighth and put up a three spot,” first basemen junior Hunter Williams said.

Pierce’s club will test its improved skills at the home opener against the University of Illinois on Feb. 19 at Turchin Stadium.