Tulane overpowers Appalachian State 76-48

Chandler Daddario, Associate Sports Editor

The Tulane men’s basketball team (2-2) started hot and did not quit in its 76-48 domination of Appalachian State (1-3) on Sunday afternoon.

The Green Wave handled the Mountaineers with ease throughout the entire first half, bursting out of the gate with a 10-0 run. Appalachian State never came within more than 8, and the Wave ran to establish a wide 28-point margin by half, marking the best start of Tulane’s season thus far.

Sophomore forward Dylan Osetkowski has emerged as a dominating force in the post, contributing largely to the Wave’s tremendous first half performance. Osetkowski recorded 16 rebounds and 10 points in just 29 minutes on the court, securing his third double-double in the past four games.

“I think Dylan did a great job, clearly, of finishing possessions with a defensive rebound and we were able to get the outlet,” head coach Ed Conroy said. “He’s such a good passer and he triggered our break and we were able to get some easy baskets. Now we were able to get some confidence going.”

After sitting the first half due to picking up a double technical last Thursday at Southern, head coach Ed Conroy gave graduate forward Jernard Jarreau and freshman guard Melvin Frazier the green light to start. Conroy’s decision and ability to sit the two starters in the first half served as a testament to the team’s depth.

The Green Wave put on quite the offensive show during the second half with four dunks and 31 total points. Louis Dabney led the team in total points with 13 and was three for six in 3-point attempts.

Freshman guard Von Julien showed some progression and comfort in the role as point and finished the day with a solid stat line of 11 points, seven assists and just three turnovers. His dishes led to more than one impressive dunk for the team.

Freshman forward Taron Oliver also made his presence known on the court Sunday afternoon. With a height of 6-9 and 310 pounds, the forward came in and recorded his first points of the game from the 3-point line. Conroy believes in his ability to grow into a great offensive threat and establish dominance on the court. His development and capability were noticeable this afternoon.

“We still need to get [Oliver] in better condition mainly for that defensive end but he is a very skilled offensive guy,” Conroy said. “He has great knowledge of how to play the game and when he gets in shape he is a guy that can really help us.”

The Wave finished the game shooting 54.7 percent from the field and 42.9 percent from beyond the arch, compared to the Mountaineers’ 29.2 percent and 16.7 percent, respectively. Tulane dominated the boards, outrebounding its opponent 48-28.

“First off I am proud of our basketball team,” Conroy said. “We have gone through a little adversity and I thought we came out with great resolve. I think it showed in the defensive end throughout the game but especially in that first half, the first ten minutes. I thought we worked hard and our energy was causing them to have some trouble … . I thought those first moments were really key.”

Tulane next heads to Nashville for a three game series in the Music City Challenge. The Wave takes on Mercer in a Thanksgiving matchup at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 26.