Dummies’ Guide: Tulane Football vs. Navy

Andrew Lemoine, Staff Reporter

1. Tulane Football (2-4, 1-2 American Athletic Conference) will take on fellow AAC foe Navy (4-1, 2-0) at 12 p.m. Saturday in Annapolis, Maryland for Navy’s Homecoming. The game will be televised on CBS Sports Network.
  2. Tulane and Navy are both looking for a win after losing last week. The Wave fell to No. 24 Houston 42-7, while the Midshipmen lost to Notre Dame 41-24.
  3. Navy is the fifth team Tulane has faced this season that is nationally ranked or is receiving votes.
  4. Tulane leads the series against Navy 11-7-1. The Wave last played the Midshipmen on  November 5, 2005, the season after Hurricane Katrina. Tulane lost 49-21.
  5. Last week vs. Houston, Tulane gave up 461 yards to the Houston offense, while gaining 262 yards. The Wave were without starting quarterback Tanner Lee due to a concussion. 
  6. In that game, the Wave had more penalty yards (133) than rushing yards (112.) Limiting penalties will need to be a top priority vs. Navy.
  7. Head coach Curtis Johnson confirmed that Lee is cleared for the match against Navy.
  8. Navy is one of four teams in the nation that runs a triple-option offense, and is one of three that Tulane will face this season. All four teams that run a triple-option are ranked in the top 11 in the nation in rushing offense. The Naval Academy is No. 3.
  9. True freshman punter Zach Block has started for Tulane the last two games. Block has punted the ball 17 times for an average of 40.1 yards per punt.
  10. Tulane has more penalties (21) than first downs (19) over the last two football games.
  11. Follow @Hullsports on Twitter for up-to-date coverage of Tulane Athletics.