Opinion: Wave football needs stronger offensive play to bounce back

Max Meyer, Contributing Reporter

After two consecutive double-digit crushing loses, the Tulane football team needs to bounce back. The Wave has a lot of potential with veteran players taking the field, but it desperately needs to put more points on the board in upcoming games.

Tulane’s offense through the air has not lived up to the expectations under the command of redshirt sophomore quarterback Tanner Lee. He went 165 yards through the air on 14-of-30 passing on Sept. 3 against Georgia Tech. 

“I think we are just going to continue to improve, continue to become more consistent and comfortable making plays and putting points up,” Lee said. “We just need to realize that all of our goals are still in front of us. It’s still a long season, and we are still looking to make a push to get some of these wins.”

The Wave’s offense will be scrambling to snap the streak of low-scoring games this season. If the Green Wave offensive line can give Lee plenty of time in the pocket, the receiving core of Devon Breaux, Teddy Veal and Terren Encalade would have more of a chance to get open and score often.

“We just need to execute on what we do on offense,” redshirt junior wide receiver Devon Breaux said. “We need to get ourselves ready for who we are playing. During these practices, we are focusing on our up-tempo [offense], moving fast and putting up lots of points.”

Redshirt junior running back Lazedrick Thompson has become the primary option out of the backfield, yards 86 yards for 400 yards and four touchdowns through the first two games.

Sophomore running back Dontrell Hilliard, redshirt senior running back Rob Kelley and redshirt sophomore running back Sherman Badie will be looking to carry some of the weight in the backfield as well. One of these four running backs needs to emerge as the primary option in these upcoming games if Tulane hopes to turn around its 0-2 season.

The Green Wave should be aiming to make a bowl game appearance this year. All eyes will be on Lee to turn things around. It won’t take long for the Wave to start scoring, live up to expectations and make this season a winning one if it institutes crucial changes this Saturday.