Dummies’ Guide: Tulane Football vs. Georgia Tech

The Wave prepare to enter Benson Field at Yulman Stadium before its 35-20 win against Southeastern Louisiana Sept. 13. Tulane enters its first bye week of the 2014-15 season with a record of  1-4, 0-1 AAC. 

Andrew Lemoine, Staff Reporter

1. Last season, Georgia Tech’s rushing offense ranked No. 2 in the nation.

2. In the inaugural game at Yulman Stadium last year, Georgia Tech beat Tulane 38-21.

3. In that matchup, Tech gained 359 offensive yards to Tulane’s 327.

4. The Green Wave limited the Yellow Jackets to 15 passing yards, but gave up 344 on the ground.

5. Georgia Tech runs a triple option offense. Only 4 teams in the nation run a triple option offense, and Tulane will play three of them this season: Georgia Tech, Army and Navy

6. After week one, junior linebacker Nico Marley leads the nation in solo tackles with 13. Marley will play an important role in stopping the Yellow Jacket rushing attack.

7. Last week vs Duke, Tulane allowed an average of 4.2 yards per carry.

8. Against Duke, the Tulane offense averaged 1.1 yards per rush, while Wave redshirt sophomore running back Sherman Badie averaged 7.3 yards on 3 carries. Look for Badie to get more touches against Georgia Tech.

9. Tulane looks to rebound in the passing game, after Tanner Lee completed 24 of 42 passes for 246 yards. Lee simply explained, “I [have] to play better.”

10. Continuing their drives will be crucial for the team as the Wave gained only 14 first downs against Duke, which ties for 110th in the nation for week one. Tulane did not snap the ball once in the red zone.

11. Coming into Saturday’s game, Georgia Tech is ranked No. 15 in the nation. The last time Tulane faced a ranked opponent on the road was at LSU in 2009. The Wave lost 42-0.