Eat well, buy sustainable at local farmers markets

Bryce Berman, Contributing Reporter

Eat your vegetables and enjoy them too, with the Sodexo and Crescent City farmers markets.

Dining Services set up an intimate, personable farmers market outside Devlin Fieldhouse at the corner of Freret Street and McAlister Drive Friday afternoon. Upon approaching the small table, shoppers were greeted by smiles from Dining Services Marketing Specialist Whitney Prussia, Student Health Center Registered Dietitian Sarah Walsh and the friendly faces of other Dining Services employees. 

There was an array of about 20 different types of produce including bell peppers, cauliflower, peaches, apples and much more at very reasonable prices.

“We try to get the produce locally and the vegetables are almost always locally grown,” Prussia said. 

The produce mainly comes from Liuzza Farm and Poche Farm — both approximately an hour away and brought fresh to Tulane every day. Most of the vegetables at Bruff Commons and other on-campus Sodexo locations also come from these farms. Since Louisiana is not a very “fruit-friendly” state, as Prussia calls it, the fruit often comes from Capitol City Produce. 

This small, yet plentiful stand will be outside Devlin Fieldhouse almost every Friday for the next few weeks from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., so be sure to check it out — you haven’t missed your chance. 

The Crescent City Farmer’s Market is perhaps one of the most popular of its kind in New Orleans. It travels around the city throughout the week. 

This past Saturday’s market on downtown Magazine Street had a fun, lighthearted vibe as jazz music played while shoppers walked around the sunny parking lot browsing the stands, stopping for a few cooking demonstrations and, of course, collecting free samples.  

All vendors have been handpicked and come from within 400 miles. From fava beans to hot pepper jelly to alligator, Crescent City has it all. The market comes Uptown on Tuesdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 200 Broadway Street, conveniently located in the parking lot of Tulane Square. You can get there by taking the Blue Line shuttle from the Uptown campus. 

The Green Wave Community Market outside of Tulane Hillel on Broadway Street will also have music and local vendors selling food and art. The Green Wave Market will be there on Sept. 27, Oct. 11 and 25, Nov. 15 and Dec. 6 from 12 to 3 p.m.

Farmers markets are a great way to support local businesses, take an adventure and buy healthy snacks. When you know your money is going towards the upkeep of local farms and the lives of fellow citizens, it makes grocery shopping that much better.