Important resources for new students

Editorial Staff

Adjusting to college life is not easy. Among the more difficult changes is grappling with a new environment away from family and friends. There are a number of campus services, however, that help make this transition easier.

First and foremost, your resident advisor is going to be one of your most valuable resources. They will be able to provide advice on how to navigate a college campus from a student perspective. Resident advisors can also connect you to the Department of Housing and Residence Life and Dining Services should you need accommodations. 

Outside of the residence hall, there are a number of transportation services available. Gold Zone is a shuttle service that can bring you to and from any location within a one-mile radius of campus. You can contact the shuttle line at (504) 314-7233 or download the app TapRide. This option is preferable to walking, especially if you are on your own at night.

If something in your room is not working correctly, give Service Wave a call. They can fix all sorts of issues, including broken furniture, bad plumbing or a malfunctioning air conditioner. Make sure to contact them as soon as possible, to avoid paying for it later. Submit a work order at servicewave.tulane.edu or, for emergencies, you can call (504) 865-5445.

If you find yourself feeling ill, pay a visit to the Student Health Center. The SHC offers a number of medical services, primarily serving as a fully stocked pharmacy. NyQuil will be your best friend from November to March. Invest in it.

College can be intimidating as students learn how to be independent. There are many people on campus who are trained and excited to help make your life easier. The Hullabaloo wishes you the best of luck in your first semester.