The return of Riptide

Tulane Green Waves mascot Riptide returns following the disappearance of part of its costume. This season, Riptide will be more integrated into the football experience, potentially performing routines with the cheerleading team.

Tulane Green Wave’s mascot Riptide returns following the disappearance of part of its costume. This season, Riptide will be more integrated into the football experience, potentially performing routines with the cheerleading team.

Samantha Shafia, Staff Writer

The Wave is ready for #RiptideReturns.

On Sunday a group of spirited students convened in the Devlin Fieldhouse to strut their stuff and show their ability to work the new Riptide costume. These people ranged in qualifications from having a resume of mascot attires to being Riptide for two years.

The tryouts consisted of each person going in front of the selection committee individually and answering questions relating to management, availability and commitment. The most important questions were answered in the form of actions. The question “How do you think Riptide would walk?” was swiftly followed by different struts, waves and finger points. The question “How would Riptide act at the beginning of kick-off for a football game?” followed with many fist pumps, raising the roofs and running high-fives along the imaginary student section.

The potential pelicans also addressed their interests to become more active as the mascot by learning routines to go along with the cheerleading team’s choreography.

The return of Riptide has been greatly anticipated since its mysterious disappearance last year. The enthusiastic, spirited and dedicated pelican will be warmly welcomed back as he raises the spirits of all Tulane supporters in his new mascot suit which is set to be unveiled at the first home football game.

Get ready to witness the return of Riptide at 8:30 p.m. this Thursday in Yulman Stadium for the season opener against Duke.