Tulane cornerback Lorenzo Doss drafted by Denver Broncos

Former Tulane cornerback Lorenzo Doss was selected in the fifth round of the NFL Draft Saturday by the Denver Broncos. Doss dialed up 15 interceptions in his three-year collegiate career with the Green Wave. 

Mackenna Barker, Online Sports Editor

Former Tulane cornerback Lorenzo Doss is moving up to the big leagues. The standout Green Wave player was drafted by the Denver Broncos in the No. 28 selection of the fifth round of the 2015 NFL Draft.

Following the conclusion of the 2014-15 season, the standout CB announced on Twitter that he would forego his senior season with the Wave and try for the professional league.

Doss was a major contributor to the Wave throughout his three seasons at Tulane. His 15 career interceptions ranks second in Tulane history, and his 271 return yards is the school record. He made a significant impact as a sophomore, when he claimed second-team All-America status from Sports Illustrated as well as being named to the first-team All Conference USA. That season he also earned the C-USA Defensive Player of the Year award as well as the Louisiana Defensive Player of the Year honors.

Doss attended the NFL Combine in February where he recorded a 40-yard dash at 4.50 seconds, the No. 11 fastest time of the of the 33 defensive backs who participated in the Combine. Doss went on to cut down that time at the NFL Pro Day where he recorded a 4.47 second 40-yard dash.

Doss finished at the No. 14 spot of the 34 cornerbacks in attendance at the Combine and ranked No. 44 overall, placing him comfortably within the top 100 athletes performing.

Doss is the first Tulane football player to leave early to declare for the draft since 2002. Though he enjoyed his time at Tulane, he said playing under head coach Curtis Johnson helped prepare him for the pros and he’s ready for this next step.

“This has been a dream that I’ve waited for all my life,” Doss said. “As a young child, this is what I wanted to do, play in the NFL. Now, I want to represent New Orleans and Tulane on the NFL level.”