No. 1 LSU silences Wave offense in shutout

Sophomore infielder Hunter Hope hits the ball in the Wave’s 3-0 win against Gonzaga Sunday. Hope drove in a run on a sacrifice fly in the Wave’s loss against Southern Miss Wednesday night. 

Oliver Grigg, Print Sports Editor

No.1 in-state rival LSU’s dominant pitching held Tulane to just one hit Tuesday night in Baton Rouge, and the Wave’s poor defense led to a 6-0 loss.

Tulane (24-16) trailed 1-0 after the first inning and the game remained close until LSU scored an unearned run in the bottom of the fifth inning because of defensive errors. LSU tacked on four runs in the bottom of the seventh inning to extend its lead to 6-0.

Junior pitcher Patrick Duester kept the Green Wave in the game, allowing four hits and two runs while striking out three in five innings.

“I thought [Duester] really settled in and started using his change-up more,” head coach David Pierce said. “He got LSU off stride a bit.”

Senior outfielder John Gandolfo’s single in the top of the second was Tulane’s only hit Tuesday night. Gandolfo stole second base later in the inning. He was the only Tulane runner to advance past first base. Junior outfielder Richard Carthon and sophomore catcher Jake Rogers each walked, while sophomore infielder Stephen Alemais reached on an error.

The last time Tulane was held to just one hit was in its 5-0 loss against Rice April 7, 2012 at Turchin Stadium.

The Wave next plays American Athletic Conference foe Cincinnati in three-game series 5 p.m Friday in Cincinnati, Ohio.