Communication on tornado warnings, severe weather contributes to confusion

Kate Jamison, Online News Editor

Severe thunderstorms and a tornado warning affected campus Monday, leading to street flooding, delays and a series of emergency communication attempts by the university. 

Tulane University Emergency Response began tweeting about severe weather Monday morning at 10:29 a.m. They advised that there was a tornado warning in the New Orleans metro area due to a severe storm developing. 

The official Tulane University account tweeted at 11:14 a.m. asking everyone to remain where they are. 

The university administrators began to urge students to stay inside, while reminding everyone that classes had not been cancelled. 

Emergency Response created a text alert system for Tulane affiliates last year. While the TU Alert was broadcasted, the local weather service cancelled the tornado warning. Only a portion of the affiliates received the alert, according to a tweet from Emergency Response. 

Students were encouraged to stay inside university buildings. Everyone in the Lavin-Bernick Center was told to go to the basement level and remain there until further notice. Some students in academic buildings were told to leave classrooms and stay in the hallways away from all windows and doors. 

Classes have not been cancelled for Monday. 

The Hullabaloo will continue to update this story as it develops. Follow @hullnewsTU for updates on Twitter.