St. Patricks Day parade brings green beer, great times

Julia Engel, Staff Reporter

Behind Mardi Gras, St. Patrick’s Day is one of the most anticipated parade seasons of the year. This year’s festivities begin Friday and run all weekend, continuing downtown until St. Patrick’s Day, Tuesday. Needless to say, there will be enough merry activities for every New Orleanian to get in a green beer or two.

The throws from the various carriages, floats, live bands and walking groups aren’t quite the same as what the typical Mardi Gras krewe doles out.

“When I went to the Irish Channel Parade last year, the most memorable part was catching the cabbage heads,” sophomore Sarah Burn said.

Fresh produce—cabbages, carrots and even potatoes are common throws during the St. Patrick’s Day season. If you’re lucky, you may even see a Moon Pie or two flying through the air. Both families and partying twenty-somethings alike revel in the jollity each year.

“It was similar to a Mardi Gras parade but more of a traditional parade,” sophomore Leanne Norden said. “I actually ended up watching [the parade] from the street and then moved to a balcony down Magazine Street where people were just drinking and engaging in merriment in the streets.”

Tulane students often frequent the Irish Channel Parade held Saturday, which runs down the length of the ‘Irish Channel’ section of Magazine Street.

“We hung around Tracy’s for the most part, but everywhere in the Irish Channel is bumpin’,” junior Marypat Henry said.

Although not as debauchery-filled as Mardi Gras, St. Patrick’s Day New Orleans-style is certainly worth dancing in the street.