FULLABALOO: Arcade changes name to Arts and Entertainment for obvious reasons

After a 38-year trial run, The Arcade has officially announced it will change its name back to Arts and Entertainment. It was determined that Arcade does not, in fact, make people think of arts and entertainment. The worn-out name’s legacy is one ranging from indifference to confusion.

When The Hullabaloo was first published, the section was originally named Arts and Entertainment, after the subjects it covers. For more than 50 years, the name stuck.

Like many changes in customs that occurred in the 1970s, The Hullabaloo’s section was redesigned for the worse. The Arts and Entertainment editor during the 1979 school year, Michael Fitzsimmons, decided to change the name of the section to Arcade. Despite the change in name coinciding with the rise of the first largely popular arcade game, “Space Invaders,” Fitzsimmons, noted nonconformist, claims the inspiration came from other sources.

“Actually, ‘Galaxy Game’ inspired the name change. It came out way before arcades blew up,” Fitzsimmons said.

This set in place two traditions that lasted until the fall 2016 semester: the name and a long line of editors vehemently opposed to mainstream trends, known today as “hipsters.” The future leaders of the section took pride in the underground nature of a section with a name that doesn’t describe the content it covers.

It took an editing staff composed of a Tulane sorority girl and a Canadian so hipster that he’s reverted back into mainstream to try and fix the lack of sense in the section’s name.

“Nobody really goes to arcades or plays arcade games anymore,” Arcade Editor Taylor DeMulling said. “I don’t think the name ‘Arcade’ resonates with Tulane students like it might have in the past.”

Last semester, Arcade released a poll to see whether Tulane’s campus preferred a more intuitive name, like Arts and Entertainment, or to keep the current title. The name Arts and Entertainment got 100 percent of the votes, though the only people who voted were the two editors currently running the section. The other 8,000 students either did not know the purpose of the poll or did not care enough to fill out.

“Maybe there would’ve been a higher turnout rate if people actually knew what Arcade was,” current editor and reporter Sam Ergina said.

With a simpler name, The Hullabaloo’s Arts and Entertainment section aims to attract a higher readership and to gain interest from students who always wanted to read the arts and entertainment stories in the newspaper but could never find them.