FULLABALOO: Tulane admissions uses Loyola students in diversity advertisements

To make Tulane University seem like an inclusive place for students of color after President Michael Fitts’ commitment to diversity, a new ad campaign featuring photos of Loyola University New Orleans students of color on banners around campus is being launched.

Head of Caucasian Affairs Wyatt Man said the advertisement campaign was meant to showcase the possibilities of what Tulane would look like if students of color attended.

“We just really wanted the perspectives to visualize their success at Tulane,” Man said. “That’s why we took successful Loyola students of color, paid them to wear Tulane merchandise and told them to walk around campus, so we could take photos.”

Prospective student Gentra Fication said she felt the ads made her feel good about choosing Tulane for the cultural experience.

“These banners make me feel like Tulane can give me the real New Orleans experience,” Fication said. “Like, seeing people of different backgrounds on my floor is just so great for my education. I really want my roommate to be like a Latino or an Asian or something.”

The Office of Admission said they believed the advertisements would increase the atmosphere of inclusivity.

Assistant Director of Caucasian Affairs Sal Teen said she believes students of color and white students alike will find inspiration in seeing the images of a fully multiracial campus in admissions brochures.

“To make diversity a reality at Tulane, we need to make sure the students of color already on campus know they are welcome and know they are valued enough to be photographed,” Teen said. “They look so good on our website.”

Some students, however, felt differently.

“Yeah, it seemed fake to me,” Tulane Black Student Union member Token Brown said. “I didn’t recognize them, and I know all 10 of the students of color on campus.”

Despite the new banners, other students did not realize there were students of color on campus at all.

“There are black kids at Tulane?” Tulane freshman Ra Cism said.