Newly formed Progressive Voter Coalition endorses candidates for USG executive cabinet

Armando Marin, Online News Editor

The Progressive Voter Coalition has endorsed candidates for the Undergraduate Student Government executive cabinet elections. The PVC is a newly formed group of student organizations on campus who identify as having goals that align with a progressive agenda.

Sophomore Abby Jones, one of the organizers of the PVC, said the coalition wants to rally unified support from the members of the organizations for the most progressive candidate.

“We know that the candidates endorsed by the [PVC] are the candidates with the strongest commitment to progressive goals and initiatives and are the candidates who will create a more diverse, healthy, safe, equitable, sustainable and accountable Tulane,” Jones said in an email

The PVC officially endorsed Madeline Hicks for President, Autumn Gibbons for Vice President for Finance, Molly Lynch for Executive Vice President, Michael Schwartz for Vice President for Student Organizations, Stephanie Metherall for Vice President for Academic Affairs and Sam Rich for Vice President for Student Life.

The PVC consists of organizations which self-identify as progressive. The coalition includes Students Organizing Against Racism, College Democrats, J Street U, Gamma Rho Lambda, Gender Exploration Society, Queer Feminist Collective, Amnesty International, Women In Politics, Students for Sensible Drug Policy, Feminist Alliance of Students at Tulane, Green Club, Students United for Reproductive Justice, Divest Tulane, Hope Gardens, Queer Student Alliance and The Vagina Monologues.

The PVC decided which candidates to endorse following presentations from the candidates. Each candidate was allowed to speak and answer questions submitted by PVC organizations. Each organization was allowed one vote during the decision process, and the PVC unanimously decided upon every candidate.

Hicks and her opponent Trace Hancock were both in attendance. Lynch, Schwartz and Rich, who are all running unopposed, also presented to the PVC. Gibbons, one of four candidates for Vice President for Finance, was the only candidate for her position to attend. Metherall, who was traveling for an Office of Admissions event and is running unopposed, was still endorsed because she had responded to communication from the organizers of the PVC.