Wave comeback falls short, loses second UConn matchup

Freshman center Dylan Osetkowski drives to the hoop in the 62-53 loss in the first meeting against UConn February 7 in Devlin Fieldhouse. In his second matchup against the Huskies Sunday, Osetkowski scored 12 points in the 67-60 loss in Connecticut. 

Devi Kinkhabwala, Staff Reporter

Tulane Men’s basketball (14-12, 5-9 AAC) headed northeast this Sunday to take on Connecticut (15,11, 8-6 American) in Gampel Pavilion in an American Athletic Conference game, but fell short of a victory 67-60.

The Green Wave, coming off of a home loss to Central Florida this past Thursday, went into its second match up against the Huskies. UConn claimed the first, in a close 62-53 contest back on Feb. 7 in Devlin Fieldhouse.

The Huskies came out strong to start of the game and Tulane failed to pull ahead until 10:01 mark in the second half. A shot by sophomore guard Kajon Mack along with a jumper by sophomore guard Jonathon Stark brought the squad to a 46-45 advantage before UConn had a 6-0 run to regain the lead.

UConn shot 53.1 percent from the floor and connected on 5-12 three-pointers, while Tulane shot 38.0 from the floor and hit 10-25 three-pointers. The Green Wave out rebounded the Huskies 33-30.

“We had really good flow on the offensive end, but unfortunately some of our good looks didn’t go down, but we did out-rebound them again,” Tulane head coach Ed Conroy said. “We were right there today, but credit UConn for making some tremendous plays down the stretch.”

Louis Dabney lead the team with 19 points and five three-pointers. This is the No. 19 time the junior guard has scored double figures this season and the No. 46 game of his career with 19 points. Freshman center Dylan Osetkowski scored double digits for the seventh time this season with 12 points and also grabbed 6 rebounds.

Senior guard Jay Hook added 8 points and 8 boards. He now sits No. 3 on Tulane’s career 3-pointers made list.

Tulane heads back on the road to finish its regular season schedule in Oklahoma when it takes on Tulsa Wednesday at 7 p.m. CT.