New Orleans to install lights on Palmer, Calhoun

Lack of lighting on Palmer Avenue and Calhoun Street show need for additional street lights. 

Armando Marin, Online News Editor

Associated Student Body President Chris Halbohn announced at the Undergraduate Student Government meeting Jan. 27 that the New Orleans Department of Public Works will install additional streetlights along Palmer Avenue and Calhoun Street.

Halbohn campaigned for the ASB president position in February 2014, basing his campaign on promoting campus safety initiatives. He began talks with Tulane University Police Department in August, who then referred him to the Tulane Office of Government and Community Relations. Mark Jernigan in the New Orleans Department of Public Works met with Halbohn in October and later worked to get the project funded and approved.

“[Palmer and Calhoun] are high-trafficked areas for both undergraduate and graduate students living off campus,” Halbohn said. “We’re trying to promote feelings of safety as much as we can. [The new lights] will make people comfortable at night. No one should ever feel unsafe in their own city.”

TUPD Superintendent Jon Barnwell said he believes the lights will assist in TUPD’s goal of maintaining a safe community.

“Adequate lighting is critical to public safety,” Barnwell said. “It deters criminal activity and provides a sense of comfort. I welcome the city’s efforts to update the lighting around campus, as it will aid in our overall efforts regarding crime prevention.”

Junior Russell Lyons, who lives on Palmer, said the current level of lighting is insufficient and that he looks forward to more lights being installed.

“Past sundown, there is almost no lighting on Palmer,” Lyons said. “I have night classes and always walk home after class. Since Palmer has no lighting, I always walk down Calhoun because it is better lit. Adding lights to Palmer will make me feel a lot safer walking to and from campus at night.”

Halbohn said the lights will run parallel to campus from St. Charles Avenue to Willow Street. No concrete plans have been established as to when or how long the project will take place.