Attendance costs rise in 2016 fiscal year, athletics budget increases

Armando Marin, Online News Editor

The proposed budget for the 2015-16 academic year was presented to the University Senate Feb. 2 by Hugh Long, chair of the university’s Budget Review Committee and states that academic fees will remain the same but undergraduate tuition will increase by 3 percent.

At this point, the operating budget has an annual $15 million deficit due to departments overspending beyond the senate’s proposed budget allowance. 

Tuition for the 2014-15 academic year was $44,425 and will be $45,757 for the next academic year. The academic fees, which will remain at a total of $3,880, include mandatory fees for the Student Health Center, Reily Student Recreation Center, academic support and student activities.

The increase is typical of tuition increases. Between the 2013-14 and 2014-15 academic years, tuition also rose by 3 percent from $43,150 to $44,425. 

Tuition for graduate and professional students has yet to be determined, but according to the report of the committee, will increase by at least $1,333 annually.

The average cost for a double room in a residence hall will increase by $360, and meal plans will be $267 more expensive. These figures are based on an estimated occupancy rate of 93 percent, a goal of 1,550 new freshmen and 150 transfer students for next year and a total undergraduate enrollment of 6,247.

The new budget also allocates a 2 percent salary merit pool, which can be used for faculty and staff pay raises beginning in 2016.

In the 2016 fiscal year, approximately $21.5 million will be allocated to spend for athletic expenses with an estimated revenue of $11 million. According to Tulane’s financial statements, Tulane forecasts spending approximately $21 million for athletics while taking in approximately $9 million for the 2015 fiscal year. These figures account for the operating expenses of Yulman Stadium and participation of 16 programs in the American Athletic Conference, but do not include the construction costs of the stadium.

This budget may undergo changes in the forthcoming months as members of the Board of Tulane and the budget review committee consider the proposed budget. Members of University Senate will vote on the final budget May 29, and the Board will ultimately approve it June 19.