Former Wave star Doss vies for shot in NFL

Former Tulane cornerback Lorenzo Doss was selected in the fifth round of the NFL Draft Saturday by the Denver Broncos. Doss dialed up 15 interceptions in his three-year collegiate career with the Green Wave. 

Mackenna Barker, Associate Sports Editor

Former Tulane cornerback Lorenzo Doss, taking his next step toward a professional football career, participated in the 2015 NFL Combine Friday to Monday in Indianapolis.

Doss recorded a personal best 40-yard dash time of 4.50 seconds, which placed him No. 11 of the 33 defensive backs who participated in the Combine. Doss posted a 33.50 inch vertical jump and a 115.0 inch broad jump, completed the 3 cone drill in 7.20 seconds, the 20-yard shuttle in 4.26 seconds and the 60-yard shuttle in 11.90 seconds.

Doss’ performances in each category helped him stand out against more than 300 other athletes who were invited to the Combine to participate in an evaluation of their athleticism, skills and mental stability.

While he received praise from scouts and analysts, Doss also heard criticism from NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock and NFL.com scout Lance Zierlein. Mayock said Doss shied away from tackling too often, while Zierlein said Doss was too aggressive and often displayed lazy technique. 

Doss, however, received high praise for having reliable hands and excellent ball skills, as well as being a hard worker. Zierlein credited Doss for his high football intelligence and his determination, as Doss often played through pain and rarely missed practice. 

Doss was a standout player in his three years with the Wave. Doss holds the school record for interception return yards at 271, and ranks No. 2 in Tulane history with 15 career interceptions, two of which were returned for touchdowns. He recorded 126 tackles and 20 pass break-ups in three seasons.

Doss received Conference USA All-Freshman Team honors during his freshman season, and earned Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year award as well as the Louisiana Defensive Player of the Year honors as a sophomore season. Doss also claimed second-team All-America status from Sports Illustrated and was named to the first-team All C-USA that season.

Doss claimed a spot in the first-team All-American Athletic Conference as well as second-team all-state during his junior season. Doss announced in December that he would forego his senior year and enter the 2015 NFL Draft. 

The 2015 NFL Draft takes place April 30 to May 2 in Chicago. NFLDraftScout.com predicts that Doss will be taken in the fourth or fifth round.