Women’s hoops’ seniors shine on Senior Day

Women’s basketball head coach Lisa Stockton honors her four seniors Danielle Blagg, Tiffany Dale, Adesuwa Edomwonyi and Jamie Kaplan on Senior Day, as the Wave thrusted past Memphis in a 75-64 victory Saturday at Devlin Fieldhouse. 

Jonathan Harvey, Online Sports Editor

In the final minute Saturday, women’s basketball head coach Lisa Stockton jumped off the bench in excitement, turned around to the Tulane faithful behind the Green Wave bench and demanded the fans give a standing ovation for the four seniors, on Senior Day, as they exited the floor.

That’s vintage Stockton, who has consistently instilled confidence in her Tulane players on and off the court for 21 seasons. The four seniors, guards Danielle Blagg, Jamie Kaplan, forwards Tiffany Dale and Adesuwa Edomwonyi all finished scoring in double figures as the Wave (20-7, 11-5 American Athletic Conference) finished off Memphis (13-13, 7-8 AAC) 75-64 after a dominating effort in the final minutes.

“We had a different kind of intensity in the last six minutes,” Stockton said. “We were getting rebounds, getting the ball out, we were setting up our offense. We just had good tempo. For us, it was just making good decisions with the ball and taking good shots.” 

Freshman guard Kolby Morgan had another impressive showing, scoring a high 22 points and Edmonwonyi tied her season best 11 points at the 2:57 mark of the first half, and finished with a season high 18, two away from her career high.

Dale and Kaplan also had season bests, as Dale snagged a team high 11 rebounds and tied her season high of 3 blocks, while Kaplan tied her career high of 13 assists, respectively. The 13 assist mark is good for No. 3 all time in Tulane women’s hoops history.  

Stockton praised the offensive efficiency and credited the Wave’s composure defensively in the last six-minute stretch to close the game.

“I thought offensively we did some really nice things,” Stockton said. “I’m really glad that our team was able to respond after Memphis started the second half on a run, and really responded defensively in the last six minutes.”

The win marks Stockton’s No. 14 season with at least 20 wins. The Green Wave close out the home season when No. 1 ranked Connecticut comes to town Monday in Devlin Fieldhouse.