Newcomb Dance Program showcases talents in ‘An Evening of Dance’

De'Andra Johnson, Contributing Reporter

Dance is one of the most popular forms of art and expression. In order to celebrate the art of dance and dancers within the Tulane community, the Newcomb Dance Program will host “Newcomb Dance Company: An Evening of Dance.” This event will feature choreographed pieces by one guest artist, three faculty members and three students, one being Senior dance major Micaela Woskie.

Performances will be held at 8 p.m.  Friday and Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday in Dixon Hall and feature a fairly large total of 30 dancers.

“[30] is big for us,” Woskie said. “It’s more of a social commentary. There is a whole range of modern dance. It’s pretty interesting, “

Auditions started back in November followed by practices immediately afterwards. “Student choreography started in September or October and we presented in December,” Woskie said.

After presenting in December, three senior student pieces, including Woskie’s, were selected for “An Evening of Dance.” Members of the dance program had the pleasure of working with choreographer and professor Jim Lepore of George Mason University in preparation for the event.

“[Lepore] was so much fun to work with,” Woskie said. “He was really knowledgeable and made it feel like you were really learning when you took his class.”

Individuals, specifically students, should attend the event not only because it will be filled with artistic dance pieces, but also to support the arts program and dancers in the Tulane community.