Potts, McMillan star for Green Wave

Oliver Grigg, Print Sports Editor

Track and field sophomore Taylor Potts broke the Tulane school record in the shot put on Saturday during day two of the University of Alabama-Birmingham Blazer Invite at the Birmingham CrossPlex in Birmingham, Alabama. 

Potts recorded a toss of 15.08 meters (49-5.75) in the event, which broke the previous record of 14.81 meters (48-7.25) set by Helmi Leppanen back in 2002. 

“[Potts] probably had five of perhaps the best eight or nine throws in her entire career today and certainly her best series ever,” Tulane track and field director Eric Peterson said. “It was not only a great meet for her in that she posted a new personal and school record, but it was the best series of throws in her life, which is a strong indicator for what is possible moving forward.”

Potts recorded a toss of 14.66 meters (48-1.25) in the same event last year as a freshman. The distance is a Tulane freshman record and prior to Saturday’s competition the second-best toss in school history. Potts placed No. 3 overall on the day in the shot put.

Junior Lilla McMillan also shined during the competition to win the 200 meter dash. After finishing No. 6 overall in the 300 meter dash the day before, McMillan ran a 24.35 for a first place finish in the 200 meter dash Saturday. Her performance earned her the American Athletic Conference Female Track Athlete of the Week. 

“It was great to see McMillan come back after a strong run in the 300 meters,” Peterson said. “She performed much better today in the 200 meters to win the event. She ran just about as fast as she ever has on this track.” 

McMillan’s victory comes on the heels of her record-setting performance at the BSC Panther Indoor Icebreaker in Birmingham, where she ran a 24.42 in the 200 meter dash. The American Athletic Conference gave McMillan Female Track Athlete of the Week honors for that performance.

Track & Field will travel back to Birmingham to compete in the UAB Green & Gold Invitational Jan. 23-24.