The Arcade lists top three restaurants of 2014

Ishan Patel, Contributing Reporter

With the year coming to a close, it’s time to take a look back at all of the restaurants you may have gone to with family, friends or perhaps a recent ex. With a plethora of restaurants spread throughout the city, it can be difficult to choose the best. The Arcade brings you our top three restaurants based on student popularity, ambience, price and, of course, food. If you haven’t checked out these restaurants, be sure to visit them at some point during your time at Tulane.

Our top pick is Commander’s Palace, located on Washington Avenue.  Specializing in modern Creole cuisine, Commander’s Palace is certainly not the cheapest restaurant in New Orleans, but because of its fusion of classic Louisiana dishes with new American cooking techniques, the luxurious tastes really can be worth the extra money. The atmosphere inside is truly grandiose.  The decor is old-fashioned but elegant, with chandeliers lighting the venue. We recommend the gnocchi and escargot appetizer, the turtle soup and the bread pudding souffle. All are cooked with traditional Louisiana flavors to ensure you get a taste of the local culture.

Sukho Thai is our second pick, located on Magazine Street. Upon entering, the atmposphere of the restaurant immediately catches your attention. The grayed brick walls, rice paper lights and wooden ceiling all contribute to creating an earthy aura. Ingredients such as tamarinds, pineapple, coconut, and basil run in abundance here and they all come together in many delicious dishes that are sure to delight your taste buds. We recommend the papaya salad, the volcano soft-shell crab, and the green curry, which all strike a balance of spicy, sweet and salty. Sukho Thai makes for the perfect Friday night outing with a couple of friends.

Rounding out our top three is The Rum House, also located on Magazine Street. A favorite among Tulane students, The Rum House whips up incredible tropical dishes from the Caribbean. A radical shift in ambience from our other picks, the atmosphere at the Rum House is noisy, crowded, and at many times, very humid. It is worth it, however, because of their Caribbean inspired dishes that are unmatched by other restaurants in New Orleans. Watch out for Taco Tuesdays, where tacos are only $2 each. Though most famous for their long list of tacos, The Rum House offers sandwiches, rotis, seafood, steaks, and lamb. While The Rum House offers fewer vegetarian options than our other two picks, the vegetarian roti is an excellent choice, and it consists of curried vegetables, mango and coconut rice, and spinach. 

There are plenty of excellent restaurants in New Orleans, but our picks are three you should definitely check out soon if you haven’t already.