Timeflies utilizes audience participation at House of Blues show, delivers mixed performance

Nina Belzer, Contributing Reporter

Cal Shapiro and Rob Resnick comprise the electro hip-hop duo Timeflies, which performed Saturday at the House of Blues. Two opening bands, The Heydaze and Kap Slap, performed before Timeflies hit the stage. The opening artists both delivered entertaining performances, though neither was entirely overwhelming. The audience was warmed up and ready once Timeflies started its set at 10:15 p.m. The group started out strong with its hit single, “All The Way,” before heading into some of its other tracks from the new album.

While Resnick spent most of the concert DJ’ing, Shapiro was the dominant performer. His performance was mostly fun and interactive though his confidence bordered on arrogance. He soaked in every moment he experienced on stage, from reaching down to hold hands with crowd members, to pointing the microphone into the audience. Between tracks, he rambled about “Timeflies Tuesdays” and how he wanted us all to be on a “crazy, ‘beer drunk’ level.”

One of the night’s high points was when Shapiro covered “Under the Sea” from “The Little Mermaid.” He gave it a very slick R&B feel, and the performance contrasted starkly with the rest of the songs from the cover segment. The group’s covers of “Party in the USA” and “Wake Me Up” might have been more interesting if the songs weren’t consistently overplayed.

Shapiro recovered in the freestyle segment, which was the highlight of the night. Audience members sent in topics online and Resnick posted them on a screen as Shapiro rapped them in real time. Tulane students filled the audience, and, as a result, Tulane and The Boot were inevitable topics. Shapiro even rapped about a “night at The Boot.” The group finished strong with “I Choose U,” and then came on for two encore songs, one of which involved filming audience members for “Timeflies Tuesday.” Shapiro’s self-awareness regarding his talent is justified, as Timeflies’ energy and interactive performance made for a fun, entertaining concert.