Women’s basketball defeats in-state rival LSU, starts 3-0

Oliver Grigg, Print Sports Editor

Freshman guard Kolby Morgan scored 13 points to lead the Wave (3-0, 0-0 American Athletic Conference) to a 51-45 victory against in-state rival LSU in a battle for bragging rights. 

The victory marked the Green Wave’s fourth win in the past five games against LSU. Tulane also moved to an impressive 3-0 overall record for the season. 

Senior guard Jamie Kaplan scored 6 points in the first half and finished with 8 points on 60 percent shooting overall. Kaplan posted a team high 6 assists and recorded 5 rebounds. Morgan recorded 3 rebounds and 2 steals in her third career game

Tulane shot 38.5 percent overall and hit 4 of 9 three-point attempts in the first half to enter halftime with a 21-18 lead. The Wave held LSU to 33.3 percent overall shooting and forced 10 turnovers in the first half.

“Anytime your team can win a close game on the road it’s a positive and you can take a lot from it,” head coach Lisa Stockton said. “I think the players are really happy.” 

Tulane, however, was dominated on the glass in the first half, as LSU grabbed 18 total rebounds, while the Wave recorded 11. Tulane finished with 27 rebounds compared to LSU’s 35 boards. 

Tulane also struggled with turnovers throughout the game. The Wave turned the ball over 22 times, which allowed LSU to keep the score close. 

“It was really one of those games that was pretty sloppy,” Stockton said. “The offensive rebounds for LSU were really a problem for us. We just couldn’t keep them off the boards.”

In the second half, the Wave continued its strong offensive play, as it shot 47.2 percent from the field. Tulane sealed the victory with crucial free throw makes in the closing seconds of the game.

“At the end our defense came through for us,” Stockton said. “We were able to get some shots and hit some free throws.”

The Wave next plays North Carolina State 5 p.m. Nov. 24 at Devlin Fieldhouse.