Wave bowling defeats defending national champion No. 3 Sam Houston State

Freshman Michelle Ng bowls at the Valpo Crusader Classic this past weekend. Ng led Tulane with an average of 193.83 and placed No. 13 out of 97 bowlers in the field.

Oliver Grigg, Print Sports Editor

Tulane bowling recorded seven wins over the weekend, including one against defending national champion and No. 3 Sam Houston State, and finished No. 9 overall at the Valpo Crusader Classic in Merrillville, Indiana hosted by Valparaiso University.

The Green Wave (15-13) notched three wins on Friday, the opening day of the tournament. Tulane started the day with wins against Prairie View A&M, 844-819, and No. 18 ranked Alabama State, 923-837.

The Wave then lost to host Valparaiso and No. 6 Central Missouri, but battled back to record a 946-901 win against Sam Houston State. Tulane fell to Nebraska to finish day one. The Green Wave earned a pair of wins, including a 952-892 decision against No. 20 Monmouth and a 994-951 victory against Alma, on Saturday.

The Wave’s performance on Friday and Saturday earned it a No. 10 seed in Sunday’s bracket play. Tulane dropped the opening best-of-seven match to Valparaiso 4-3 but came back to win the final two matches of the day. Tulane defeated Alabama State, 4-2, and Valparaiso, 4-2, to finish No. 9 overall.

Tulane head coach Hayley Veitch said she was impressed by the team’s performance. 

“Overall I thought we had a successful tournament,” Veitch said. “The field was outstanding, and we were able to get some wins over some top ranked teams.”

Freshman Michelle Ng led Tulane with an average of 193.83 and placed No. 13 out of 97 bowlers in the field. Sophomore Angela Falgoust ranked No. 33 with an average of 180.71 and rolled a team-high 234 in the second game on Saturday to help lead the Green Wave to beat Alma.

Tulane bowling returns to action this weekend when the Green Wave travel to Montgomery, Alabama for the ASU Hornet Classic.