TUCP to show revolutionary film “Boyhood” on campus Tuesday

Nina Belzer, Contributing Reporter

“Boyhood” will screen at 8 p.m. Tuesday in Freeman Auditorium, located in Woldenberg Art Center.

Richard Linklater’s “Boyhood” is one of the most critically acclaimed films of 2014, and arguably one of the most revolutionary films in cinematic history. Starring Ethan Hawke, Patricia Arquette, Ellar Coltrane and Lorelei Linklater, “Boyhood” took 12 years to film and kept the same cast. The coming-of-age drama follows Mason (Coltrane) from his first year of elementary school to his senior year of high school. The audience witnesses his development from a young boy to an older teenager. Linklater retained the same cast for over a decade by filming a few scenes every summer. The end result is an extremely realistic portrayal of modern American upbringing.

The film is heralded for its technical scale and intimate narrative. Thanks to the consistent 12-year cast, the viewers receive a natural portrayal of both the physical and emotional changes that come with adolescence. Linklater’s goal was to keep the film as realistic as possible, so much so that Coltrane’s off-screen acne, piercings and haircuts were not altered for the film. “Boyhood” was met with overwhelming critical reception and is expected to receive a plethora of Golden Globes and Academy Award nominations in this year’s awards season. The independent film was released in limited theaters this past July, and it greatly surpassed its box office goal. In between its revolutionary nature, relatable subject matter and positive critical reception, “Boyhood” is a must-see for film buffs and casual moviegoers alike.