Golf’s comeback leads to first place tie

Junior Madison Opfer putts at the Besty Rawls Longhorn Invitational in Austin, TX. Opfer lead the Wave with an 8-over 224 performance and No. 13 place finish. 

Jordan Figueredo, Associate Sports Editor

Women’s golf tied Nevada-Las Vegas for No. 1 with a final score of 31-over at the 41st annual Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational at The University of Texas Golf Club in Austin, Texas.

Tulane entered the final round in fourth place, seven strokes behind the leader with a score of 26-over 314 Monday. Four Green Wave golfers finished in the top 20, and all five of them shot top 30 efforts in the last round of competition Tuesday. 

The Wave ended with a 2-over total, the second best total of the day.

“We came in today knowing we had to put a solid effort in and play smart to catch the three teams ahead of us,” head coach Lorne Don said. “We knew we would have to remain patient because it’s a very difficult golf course.”

Junior Madison Opfer finished No. 19 Monday with a score of 4-over in the first six holes. On Tuesday, Opfer had a score of 1-under 71 finishing No. 13 overall with Tulane’s best score overall.

Sophomore Belen Goicoechea, who missed the first fall tournament because of an injury, had the lowest recorded score for Tulane on day one, as she shot a 1-under 71. Goicoechea finished with a score of 11-over 227 at the end of the tournament. 

Junior Silvia Garces finished No. 14 and  junior Emily Penttila came in at No. 19, while senior Gemma Dryburgh finished No. 27 after the three-day invitational. 

“This was a real team effort all week long and we not only got it done but all five golfers finished in the top 30, which is fantastic,” Don said.

The performance was the 17th first place finish for the Green Wave in school history and the second under head coach Lorne Don. 

The Wave next compete in the Alamo Invitational Oct. 26-28 in San Antonio.