New Orleans City Council approves Uber

Mina Kaji, Staff Reporter

The New Orleans City Council approved Uber, and other applications that connect drivers with passengers through their smartphones, to begin business in New Orleans. The City Council approved Uber by a 4-3 vote on Sept. 4.

City Council members against Uber brought up concerns of how these services would affect the business of local taxicab services.

The City Council did not approve UberX, a service that allows consumers to utilize and book a smaller vehicle such as a Toyota Prius. Since these cars are not luxury vehicles, they are accompanied by lower fees and provide competition for taxicabs in larger cities. In cities like Chicago and Washington taxi firms have gone as far as suing Uber to keep UberX off their streets.

The Greater New Orleans Limousine Association, which constitutes greater than 90 percent of local limousine companies, expressed its concern that Uber would still force companies to lay off employees and cut employee benefits.

One taxicab service frequented by Tulane students, United Cabs Inc., is adapting its company technologically to compete with companies like Uber. President of United Cabs Syed Kazmi said his company is developing a new smartphone application. 

“We are in the process of launching a United Cabs application for smartphones,” Kazmi said. “It should be up and ready by the end of October.”

Kazmi said he believes his transportation company possesses safety aspects that make it more favorable for students.

“Our taxicab drivers are professionally trained, go through background checks and must have a permit,” Kazmi said. “Two and a half years ago, we installed things like cameras to make sure our customers are safe.”

Freshman Rachel Robertson believes that Uber will be a positive influence on New Orleans and her experience at Tulane.

“I am thrilled Uber is coming,” Robertson said. “I used it every weekend back home and from the experiences I have had with cabs in New Orleans, Uber is faster, more reliable and cheaper.”

Drivers will be able to charge customers according to how much time it takes to reach their destination. There is a minimum fare, however, of $15 for sedans, $25 for luxury cars and $45 for limousines.

There is no timetable released for when Uber will begin officially operating in the city.