Students, administration both must play part in alcohol safety

Isabella Scott | Staff Artist

By now, most students have seen the signs reading, “Tulanians, You Choose,” on every quad, urging them to make responsible decisions about alcohol. Some seriously consider them. Most just scoff at them and walk away.

Just days after the “You Choose” campaign was introduced, Tulanians had to walk away again, this time from The Boot Bar and Grill. Lovingly known as the No. 1 college bar in America, The Boot was recently subject to a police raid. Its unsuspecting and mostly underage patrons, while yelling “let us out” with drinks in their hands, failed to realize a much more serious reason behind the raid: the Tulane administration’s prominent role in the school’s drinking culture.

While the official reasons behind the raid are still a matter of speculation, most of them do trace back to the Tulane administration’s tumultuous relationship with underage drinking. Before the matter got so serious that the police had to get involved, the Tulane administration and student body certainly could have acted more responsibly.

In the past year alone, the administration has shifted from almost endorsing drinking culture with its own brand of beer to taking a much more staunch approach on the other side of the issue. Though the subtle advertising has the potential to work wonders for recruiting new classes, students might not be too pleased with the latter approach.

The student body, however, should also make better choices regarding alcohol. Though every student is free to make their own decisions, these decisions do have an impact on surrounding communities.

When classes were canceled on Aug. 29 in the wake of Hurricane Harvey, Tulane students decided to milk this “hurrication” for all its worth. But it was not just another fun night at The Boot for everyone.

According to Dusty Porter, vice president of student affairs, many students had to call emergency services that night due to alcohol and drug use, even though Tulane Emergency Medical Services was not yet back in service. And while seeking medical help should remain the priority in such cases, the student body might have played a part in diverting city resources away from storm-related rescue operations that night.

Not remembering the night before really should not be the most acceptable and celebrated way to enjoy a night out. While the administration has room for improvement regarding its efforts to handle the underage drinking problem, the responsibility to make better decisions about drinking rests with everyone.

This is an opinion article and does not reflect the views of The Tulane Hullabaloo. Pratiksha is a sophomore at Newcomb-Tulane College. She can be reached at [email protected].