On-campus festivities celebrate opening of Yulman Stadium

Oliver Grigg, Print Sports Editor

Tulane Athletics announced the university will hold on-campus events to celebrate the opening of Yulman Stadium. The festivities will be held during the days leading up to the the Green Wave’s first on-campus game since 1974. Yulman Stadium will open with a game against Georgia Tech 3 p.m. on Sept. 6. 

“All of these events that will be held over the upcoming weeks are on behalf of the opening of Yulman Stadium,” Barbara Burke, deputy director of athletics and chief operating officer, said in a press release. “What has been really great about all of this has been the collaboration of all of the different units on campus and how the opening of Yulman Stadium is pulling all of these groups together.”

The Office of Alumni Affairs will hold Tailgate Training at the Bea Field Alumni House from 6-9 p.m on Thursday. The event will be held indoors and outdoors with a beer garden and several large-screen televisions set up for fans to watch the Wave’s opening game of the 2014 season against Tulsa 7 p.m on Thursday.

Sodexo personnel will be on hand to demonstrate how to properly cook for a tailgate party and provide tailgating tips. Commemorative T-shirts and tank tops will be given away, and there will be opportunities to purchase tickets to future football games at Yulman Stadium.

A Watch the Wave! party will be held in Der Rathskeller in the Lavin-Bernick Center for students on Thursday, as well. The Tulane University Marching Band will be in attendance. Cheerleaders will help the students learn the Tulane alma mater and Hullaballoo cheer while they watch the Green Wave play against Tulsa.

“This event will be predominately for our student body,” Burke said. “We will have a tent set up [on the LBC Quad] where students can come and get their game ticket, and we will also have some posters and schedule cards there. We can help create a spirit of what we expect to see on game day.”

The Division of Student Affairs, Tulane Athletics and Greek Council will hold “In the Land of the Wave” at Brown Field at Yulman Stadium from 5:30-7:30 p.m. on Tuesday. Students will have an opportunity to tour the stadium, walk on the field and learn the cheers for football games from Tulane cheerleaders. Tulane student-athletes will take students on tours of the facility and visit the student section.

Sodexo, the official caterer of all food consumed in Yulman Stadium, will provide free food and soft drinks for those who attend.

Barnes & Noble will also sell merchandise at the event.