Mad Decent Block Party to perform first New Orleans show at Mardi Gras World

Amanda Verdi, Contributing Reporter

Ask Tulane students what concert they are most excited for in August and many will agree that the Mad Decent Block Party, rolling into New Orleans on Aug. 29 at Mardi Gras World, is where the real party is.

Mad Decent features artists such as A$AP Ferg, Big Gigantic, Dillon Francis, Flosstradamus, Kid Kamillion, RL Grime, UZ and Wrestlers.

New Orleans is a brand new addition to the Mad Decent Block Party tour, which travels to 22 cities and encompasses all of the best that electronic dance music has to offer. Each lineup is different, ensuring that no two cities are ever the same. 2014 is the biggest year for Mad Decent yet. What started as one free event six years ago has grown into a nationwide phenomenon.

Recent controversy surrounding the Mad Decent Block Party has erupted due to the two deaths and 20 hospitalizations at the Washington block party. Diplo, founder of Mad Decent, has since banned rave Kandi, homemade plastic bead bracelets, from all future Block Parties, citing issues of safety and security as his primary concerns for enacting the policy. The trading of rave Kandi is often related to the distribution of illegal drugs. This action has caused a large amount of backlash from the fans.

Despite the new restrictions, EDM fanatics and casual listeners alike will be sure to enjoy the Mad Decent Block Party at its New Orleans debut.