Freshman identified as arson suspect in Sharp Hall fire

Schwartzberg allegedly set fire to a trash can, the location of which is pictured above, in the sixth floor lobby of Sharp Hall.

Adrienne Underwood, News Editor

On Monday, a man who authorities later identified as Sharp Hall resident and Tulane freshman Garrett Schwartzberg, set a fire in a trash can in Sharp’s sixth floor lobby, near the elevators. The incident was recorded on video surveillance footage, which was later used to identify Schwartzberg.

After identifying Schwartzberg as the man from the footage, officers of Tulane University Police Department located him and read him his Miranda Rights. At this point, Schwartzberg confessed to setting the fire, according to a statement sworn by Detective David Harris of TUPD.

Prior to the trash can incident on Monday, Schwartzberg attempted to set fire to a ceiling tile on the 6th floor, according to further review of surveillance footage. 

According to his booking records, Schwartzberg was booked into the Orleans Justice Center jail on suspicion of aggravated arson on Tuesday. At Schwartzberg’s first appearance on Tuesday, he was represented by the Orleans’ Public Defender’s office.

Schwartzberg’s bond was set at $25,000 by Orleans Parish Magistrate Commissioner Albert Thibodeaux. Schwartzberg bonded out of jail according to court records from Thursday.

Schwartzberg’s next hearing is set for Oct. 31, according to the Orleans Parish Sheriff’s docket.