Tulane prepares for Hurricane Nate with campus closure, residence visitation suspension

Fiona Grathwohl, News Editor

Weathering monitoring services have predicted that Hurricane Nate will make landfall around 11 p.m. in Mississippi as a Category 1 storm. New Orleans will be hit by 45-55 mph winds with a potential of 65 mph wind gusts. The projected rainfall is 2 to 4 inches.

Campus closed at 3 p.m. today and dining services closed at 5 p.m. There is a mandatory curfew in New Orleans beginning at 7 p.m. Residence visitations have been suspended starting at 5 p.m., including Tulane students visiting other residence halls.

Any items on balconies should be stored inside during periods of strong winds. It is recommended to stay away from glass doors and windows.

In the event of a boil water advisory, bottled water will be available at on-campus 24-hour service desks.  In the case of a power outage, it is recommended to charge all electronic devices prior to Saturday evening and to use flashlights and natural light.

The most recent correspondence from Tulane indicates that university operations will resume on Monday.

Students with questions are advised to contact their Resident Advisors, staff in the building or the 24/7 service desk. In the event of an emergency, call TUPD at 504-865,5911.