“It’s okay to be white” signs linked to 4chan, found in Boston, Alberta, Ohio

Signs were found posted on Tulane's campus Wednesday morning, as well as in Boston, Alberta, and Rocky River.

Signs reading “It’s okay to be white” found on Tulane’s campus this morning are similar to those found in Cambridge, Massachusetts; Rocky River, Ohio; and at the University of Alberta.

A thread on 4chan posted Tuesday afternoon outlines a plan to distribute and publicly post signs reading “It’s okay to be white.” The thread asks that participants post the signs on Halloween while wearing costumes to maintain anonymity.

The goal of the forum’s plan is to prompt media coverage, with the hope that any negative coverage will result in “normies realize that leftists & journalists hate white people.” The thread is tagged “/pol/”, or “politically incorrect.”

The seventh and final step of the thread reads, “credibility of far left campuses and media gets nuked, massive victory for the right in the culture war, many more /ourguys/ spawned overnight.”

On Monday, an “It’s okay to be white” sign was found posted to the door of the Native Studies building of the University of Alberta, in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The day before, a racist jack-o-lantern wearing a mock headdress was left outside the building. Several other posters with the same message were found on the Canadian campus Monday morning.

The 4chan thread “IT’S OKAY TO BE WHITE ORIGINAL” was posted Tuesday afternoon.

Toronto’s Metro News reports that the university’s President David Turpin released a statement on Tuesday that “the university is aware of several incidents of racism that have occurred on north campus in recent days.”

According to Metro News, the statement was released in response to both the pumpkin and the posters.

“Messaging or displays that target or marginalize any individuals or groups will not be tolerated,” Turpin wrote. “We are working with University of Alberta Protective Services to find the parties responsible.”

In Cambridge Common and Harvard Square, stickers were found posted on light poles and electrical boxes this morning with the same message at those found at Tulane. Cambridge public officials are in the process of removing the stickers, which must be scraped off with a putty knife.

Signs reading “It’s ok to be white” were found this morning in Rocky River, Ohio, a neighborhood of Cleveland.

Sightings of the signs were also reported at Auburn University, Western Washington University, and University of Nevada-Las Vegas.

This story is developing. Updates will be made as more information is made available. To view ongoing coverage, click here and follow @hullnewsTU on Twitter.

Note: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that the University of Alberta was located in Toronto, Canada. It is located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. 

28 Comments

28 Responses to ““It’s okay to be white” signs linked to 4chan, found in Boston, Alberta, Ohio”

1. Learn Geography on November 1st, 2017 1:31 pm

“On Monday, an “It’s okay to be white” sign was found posted to the door of the Native Studies building of the University of Alberta, in Toronto, Canada.”

The University of Alberta is in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada not Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The two cities are 2100+ miles apart.

And would you say Tulane University in New Orleans, USA?

2. Trayvon on November 1st, 2017 3:09 pm

“Messaging or displays that target or marginalize any individuals or groups will not be tolerated,”

Yeah f**k white people. Don’t tolerate them at all, dont tolerate them feeling ok about themselves, they should be ashemed of their atrocitis

3. Weston on November 1st, 2017 5:00 pm

Maybe if these bigots read a history book they’d understand the oppression Poc face every day at the hands of white people. Systemic racism and prejudice + power are very real concepts. I suggest reading some Ta-Nehisi Coates or Tariq Nasheed to enlighten your perspectives.

4. Alan Strangis on November 2nd, 2017 9:24 am

Tariq Nasheed is a demagogue who peddles divisiveness to feed his social media ego. Coates is okay sometimes, but really needs to stop dwelling on the 1800s and the Civil War, and realize that white people didn’t invent slavery, and it was the British especially who killed the slave trade.

If you REALLY want to enlighten your perspective, really read about the history of slavery, outside the confines of that narrow slice of time/place called the US Civil War.

5. uradumass on November 2nd, 2017 9:34 am

you act like it doesnt go both ways…… perhaps you should re-read them also…

6. gush on November 2nd, 2017 4:00 pm

Reading talcum X? Why? Does he has a series on good moisturizers for white skin, he sure must know a lot about that, since he obviously uses moisturizers a lot.

7. Alex on November 3rd, 2017 5:36 am

This is a joke, right? Ta-Nehisi Coates or Tariq Nasheed are both racists. Do they say it is not ok to be Black?

8. Truth Bomber on November 3rd, 2017 6:44 am

If you think Tanehesi Coates is an academic who needs to be taken seriously rather than a polemicist hack you are literally what is wrong with Western civilization.

9. Paul Marc on November 1st, 2017 6:13 pm

HORRORS
    (wait….is it, uh….really OK to be white?)

10. Swog on November 1st, 2017 8:51 pm

Very happy whites are waking up and realizing they have a right to exist.
    There is nothing wrong with being white!

11. Tulane Alum on November 1st, 2017 9:03 pm

So, is it ok to have white skin, or not? Will anybody answer?

12. Texas Parent on November 1st, 2017 9:51 pm

It’s always been more than ok to be white – for us white people, that is, who have enjoyed privilige and favored treatment over people of color in this country since it was a colony. What’s even MORE ok is for us white people to not feel threatened by POC gaining equal rights, and by speaking up against bias and hatred. THAT is more than ok, it’s good, and what should be happening.
    I feel almost sorry for the clueless jerks behind this. They should be helping this world instead of sowing division. Pathetic.

13. Chris on November 2nd, 2017 11:31 am

So, you’re a racist. Got it.

14. Matt on November 2nd, 2017 1:26 pm

you mean like the Haitian massacre where they killed all the French on the island? The Turks who massacred and oppressed Southeastern Europeans (Greeks, Serbs, Bulgarians, Romanians, etc) for centuries? The Mongols who, when they invaded parts of Europe, wiped out entire villages of whites? Or the whites who were raped or tortured at the hands of Indians? or the whites today who are being displaced and killed in South Africa and Zimbabwe? Or the fact in America that most interracial violence is black on white? Or the countless rapes and terrorism against Western Europeans (Swedes, Brits, French, Danes, Belgians, etc) at the hands of the Arabs they let in? Or the millions of Eastern Europeans killed by communists Jews (Yagoda, Trotsky, Kagaonvich, etc) last century?

Just checking

15. Rollo on November 3rd, 2017 6:48 pm

Shh….be quiet you’ll blow everyone’s cover. get that nasty truth talk out of here its poison.

16. Old whitey on November 1st, 2017 11:48 pm

I have always been the subject of racial discrimination during my working life in the US. If myself and a minority were up for a position, the minority would always get preference.

You don’t solve discrimination by discriminating.

It’s OK to be White.

No racial preferences.

17. stuloho pilad on November 3rd, 2017 3:21 am

Holy shit, someone gets it. And you know what? If everybody reacted like this, this phenomena would have died a silent dead.

It was a simple game, where the only winning move was not playing. But for some reason people are too wound up or to stupid to think first and before they start reacting. And there it was a successful campaign, it will be repeated without doubt.

18. Donkey OT on November 2nd, 2017 6:20 am

Couched and ready for the next windmill.

19. Ray on November 2nd, 2017 6:47 am

Outside of the snowflake bubble, no one cares. Certainly not white America. They really won’t care until the communist vermin attack. But remember boys ,girls,and undecided. There have been 390 MILLION firearms registered in the US since 1992 and 11 TRILLION rounds of ammunition sold . 45% of all white males are military veteran’s. The white gun owner’s outnumber every army and police force on earth COMBINED , by millions to one. Only a tinny isolated minority will support violent communist revolution. They will vanish rapidly once the wholesale arrest of the violent starts. G_D help them if they manage to do anything really horrid. Whites have been quiet and passive for fifty years in this country. But if you frighten them enough , you academic ,and isolated snowflakes will soon discover that the real truth of this world is pain, violence, and genocide. A reality all of you are totally unprepared for.

20. Hollis Bilbrey on November 2nd, 2017 3:22 pm

You don’t exaggerate do you? Less than 15% of American men are Veterans. So I’m assuming your gun and ammo figures are also highly inflated. Maybe it’s everything you say. One big lie? If you’re gonna troll try being truthful

21. Chris on November 2nd, 2017 11:30 am

How did ‘It’s okay to be white” become a racist message?

In order to believe that, one must believe that it is not okay to be white. Fundamentally that’s a bigoted idea, so it logically follows that saying ‘It’s okay to be white” is racist, is in and of itself, racist. So is the president of the University of Alberta racist, or the paper assuming he’s applying that to the posters?

Given the climate in Canada right now, both are equally likely.

22. Me on November 3rd, 2017 7:11 am

That’s exactly the point of putting up the fliers.

23. gush on November 2nd, 2017 4:04 pm

Inadvertently they proved 4chan’s point.

24. Sem on November 3rd, 2017 7:46 am

It’s ok to be white.

25. Hannah on November 3rd, 2017 9:51 am

The signs aren’t upsetting because people believe it’s *not* okay to be white, they’re upsetting because they completely wash over struggles that PoC have had to deal with for centuries. Nobody has ever doubted the fact that it’s okay to be white. All of our institutions were built on whiteness, and white people benefit from them every day. It’s okay to be white, but the world doesn’t need a reminder of that. Posting these signs on the windows of multicultural organizations tells marginalized people that we (whites) are too fragile to understand or value the fight for equity and inclusion.

It’s idiotic to say that Tulane doesn’t support white people because they are taking the signs down; Tulane has supported white people almost exclusively in their 183 years. Tulane supports white people by creating spaces that are dominated by white people, administrations that are run only by white people, and hiring an overwhelming majority of white professors. Tulane has also kept down PoC by not valuing their support staff on campus (mostly people of color), consistently under-promoting and under-hiring professors of color, and continuing to benefit from an institution founded on slavery.

This campus doesn’t need another reminder that it’s okay to be white, we are reminded of that every day. Instead, let’s look at why these 4chan “politically incorrect” trolls think it’s not okay to be anything but white.

26. Rollo on November 3rd, 2017 6:57 pm

how the hell do they under-hire professors of color. I had 5 non-white professors that I could think of off the top of my head. will the distribution always be wrong until they, well, not end discrimination, but as you prescribe, properly discriminate by hiring the right distribution of each race? I think Tulane gives people a job if theyre good enough. Tulane supports white people? remove all the white people from the equation at Tulane and what do you have, a University that can pay for all of its facilities to function? as if Tulane chooses to support white people by providing spaces where they dominate. do you think those spaces would be there if the school was like 25% caucasian?

27. John on November 10th, 2017 11:28 am

This is way of drawing out all the people racist of white people and it worked well. Its retaliating from all the anti racist white crap that is going on.

28. eyeslevel on November 4th, 2017 12:56 pm

Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.