Homecoming Week includes fun, family-friendly events

Tulane’s Homecoming Week offers a cornucopia of events to bridge the gap between the hype of Halloween and the countdown to Thanksgiving. This year spanning from Oct. 30 – Nov. 4, “Wave ‘17 “ will be a chance for alumni, parents, faculty and students alike to celebrate being a part of Tulane.

This year’s theme, “Come TUgether,” will certainly resonate with 1960s graduates. The logo features a V sign surrounded by flowers, and will appear around campus as a groovy reminder for Tulanians to unite.

Here on campus, the week kicked off at the Lighting of McAlister on Monday. For Disney Channel Original Movies fans, there was a “Halloweentown” screening at 8 p.m. on Tuesday. Entertainment continued with a comedy show on Wednesday, and will peak with a concert featuring early 2000s heartthrob Jesse McCartney on Thursday night. Students can also fulfill their academic aspirations by attending open houses, professor-led talks and book signings throughout the week.

For alumni who once considered Tulane their home, there will be a number of undergraduate reunion class parties throughout the city. Additionally, former Tulanians can relive their college days by dining at various luncheons, jamming at the “Schmooze-A-Palooza” mixer, mingling at the LGBTQIA drinks reception and even rejoining the band for a halftime performance.

If you’re a current student, home might be coming to you this weekend. Parents from around the country will flock to the uptown campus for Family Weekend, ready to greet their kids with plenty of hugs, kisses and questions. Tulane will be catering this generation with the classic Jazz Brunch and information sessions concerning Greek life recruitment, sexual violence issues on campus and student success planning.

One event on Friday morning could be worth a slot in everyone’s busy schedule: President’s Town Hall. President Fitts promised to “[take] questions from the Tulane community and [discuss] the direction of the University.”

This is a chance for audience members to address the issues that stand at the forefront of students’ minds this Fall. For instance, Tulanians have recently expressed the need to change the culture of sexual assault, aggression and harassment on campus. This session could be a forum for discussing and envisioning solutions to this pressing issue. 

For anyone who missed the free Raising Cane’s on Monday night there is plenty more free food to be had in the upcoming days. When asked about New Orleans, Jesse McCartney admitted that he’s “a big foodie…gaining weight just thinking about [the cuisine].” Thus, students shouldn’t be afraid to treat their beautiful souls and indulge.