Celebrities who love, live in New Orleans

New Orleans is famous for many things, from romantic jazz to insanely good food to French-inspired architecture. Another foundation of fame in the Crescent City, however, is fame itself. Many celebrities have pitched camp in New Orleans, even going so far as to buy very expensive homes (or, in some cases, churches we’re looking at you, Beyoncé) here for themselves. Several continue to make guest appearances around the city and even occasionally on Tulane’s campus, so The Hullabaloo compiled a list of celebrities who live in and love New Orleans so that you know who to keep an eye out for next time you’re out and about in the city.

Sandra Bullock

Apparently, Bullock feels she has strong ties to this jazz-filled city. In 2009, she bought a $2 million Victorian mansion in the Garden District. She even went so far as adopting a son who was born in New Orleans, naming him Louis after the famed Jazz musician Louis Armstrong.

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie

Pitt and Jolie have filmed a number of movies in New Orleans, including Pitt’s “12 Years a Slave.” In order to house their 6 children, the duo bought a 7,650 square-foot home in where else? the French Quarter. Since the divorce, however, the two have been trying to sell the home.

John Goodman

Now this story is actually pretty sweet, and reflects hope for romance in this city. While filming a movie in 1988, Goodman met his wife here and, though a St. Louis native, he and his wife like to call New Orleans home.

Nicolas Cage

As if some of his movies, like “The Wicker Man,” weren’t frightening enough, Nicholas Cage’s backstory with New Orleans is even more chilling. Apparently, his attachment to New Orleans is so strong that he bought a pyramid-shaped tombstone in the St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 here in New Orleans for when he dies. At some point, he also owned the haunted house of Madame Delphine LaLaurie, who was an infamous slave-torturer.  

Lil Wayne

Lil Wayne is a New Orleans native and proud of it. Watch the first edition of his YouTube series “Weezy Wednesdays” to get a sneak peak of his expansive New Orleans home. The rapper also graciously funded the building of an eco-friendly skate park in the Ninth Ward and hosts an annual concert in the city, appropriately named Lil’ Weezyana Fest.

Woody Harrelson

Though he doesn’t technically live in New Orleans, Woody Harrelson frequents New Orleans when he has to film something. The actor has expressed a love for the city, especially when he can get his fun in on the weekends.

“But, yeah, the weekends definitely have fun here,” Harrelson said in an interview with The Times-Picayune. “What a great town. Oh, I love it.”

Harrelson has even been spotted on Tulane’s campus, as shown by photos on the Campus Connection Facebook page showing Harrelson and Owen Wilson playing soccer on the Newcomb Quad. He also attended one of the Cat Mafia comedy shows, which is put on by students.

“He came in a couple minutes late, was super chill, and sat on the floor and took his shoes off,” Junior Noah Hazzard said.

Beyonce and Jay Z

Many know that Beyoncé Knowles and Jay Z frequent New Orleans. In fact, they will be performing once again this Thursday at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. The couple may be such common visitors of New Orleans because of their absolutely gorgeous $2.6 million mansion in the Garden District that was once a Presbyterian church built in 1925. Or perhaps they swing by so often to visit Solange, Knowles’ sister who has set up shop literally in New Orleans.

Ellen Degeneres

There’s a reason Ellen DeGeneres has twice been the Tulane commencement speaker. DeGeneres was raised in Metairie, Louisiana, and even went on to attend University of New Orleans to study communications before dropping out after a semester. After working casual jobs in restaurants, DeGeneres began doing stand-up comedy in bars and coffee shops on her way to becoming the comedian we know her as today.