Why we swipe right: What (not) to do with your profile

Josh Jessiman | Photography Editor

In an increasingly digital world, online dating apps are becoming the modus operandi on college campuses. After all, if there is no need to leave your dorm room to meet the person of your dreams, then why would you? Just like in real life, however, first impressions are everything. A good profile can make or break a potential connection, and turn a not-so-steamy Friday into a night to remember. Now that the semester is in full swing, lower and upperclassmen alike are scrambling to assemble the best profile possible. The Hullabaloo asked some potential bachelors and bachelorettes across campus what techniques they prefer and what makes (or breaks) a dating profile.

When asked about what might turn one off of a cute match, many students’ main concerns were far from physical.

“It’s a major no for me if they have anything about what they want,” freshman Connor Little said. “Like, if they say ‘just want to hook up’, or ‘looking to settle down?’ That’s a huge red flag.”

Whether or not dating apps should be used for finding individuals seeking committed relationships is often a controversial issue, particularly with the rise of more specialized “cuffing-friendly” apps like Bumble.

“I think it’s better to just wait and see what happens,” Little said.

Though bios might be a major factor, an equally-pressing concern of Tulane students are the photos themselves. According to sophomore Gillian Robins, “holding a fish, holding a dead animal, wearing all camo, holding a gun and [being] in military uniform” all lead to a left swipe.

Similarly, Sophomore McCall Phillips listed potential red flags such as “anything about sex, hooking up, drugs, if he has a shirtless picture in a mirror, if he’s ugly by my standards and if he has an arrogance about him like if he smirks.”

It is clear that physical attraction to the person behind the smartphone holds a great deal of importance, but there are many things that can be added or taken away from a profile to increase your chances of matching with all your favorite Tinder hotties. Phillips also said what kind of traits encourage her to swipe right, like having “photos with his family, if he looks like he’s kinda outdoorsy, we’re interested in the same things, if in his comment section he doesn’t leave his snapchat and if he doesn’t have an eggplant emoji”.

In the wide world of dating apps, every user’s wants and needs are different. While some may favor physical attraction above all else, others rely on less tangible qualities. Ultimately, each match will be made for different reasons. For lonely hearts still in need of a little guidance, however, Little offered some sage advice.

“Dogs in the picture are always a bonus,” Little said.