Tulane enters agreement with Office of Civil Rights, vows to end “sex discrimination” against men

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kila Moore, News Editor

In the fall of 2018, Virginia Title IX attorney Margaret C. Valois filed a complaint against Tulane University and the Newcomb College Institute which claimed that the university discriminated against male students with many of its scholarship opportunities. After an investigation by the Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights, the office determined that at least six of Tulane’s scholarships violated Title IX’s law against sex discrimination.

Following the decision, Tulane entered an agreement with OCR to implement Title IX training for its administrators to prevent discrimination in financial assistance and other campus opportunities.

In a resolution letter between OCR and Tulane, the university agrees to train administrators along Title IX’s requirements. According to the letter, the training must address “Title IX’s prohibition of sex discrimination (including sex discrimination against men) including with respect to participation criteria for experiential learning opportunities, programs, and student organizations.”

OCR officials will monitor Tulane’s progress in this initiative moving forward. The university is expected to be fully compliant by September 6, 2019.

The Hullabaloo will continue to publish updates as this story develops.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Tulane enters agreement with Office of Civil Rights, vows to end “sex discrimination” against men”

1. :/ on January 16th, 2019 9:31 pm

This is disappointing, considering the fact that 42% of women at tulane report being assaulted since enrolling. I fully believe that every kind of person is entitled to education, financial support, and respect – but women’s programs have a particular importance in Tulane’s social and cultural environment.

Disappointing that Tulane would remove these programs considering the statistics they gathered during the Climate Survey.

2. :/ on January 16th, 2019 9:33 pm

Why doesn’t tulane fix one problem at a time? 42% of undergraduates and 50% of LGBT women have reported being sexually assaulted since enrolling at Tulane. Asking for women’s only spaces is not discriminatory to men, the party in power at Tulane and most insitutions.

3. Angry on January 20th, 2019 8:04 am

The reason Tulane has so many scholarship opportunities specifically for women is because of the entity that is Newcomb College. A HISTORICALLY WOMENS COLLEGE. If men are so butthurt that a historically womens college offers scholarships for women then why dont they stop using their daddies money for once and go start their own hedge fund somewhere.

4. Facts, Not Feelings on February 10th, 2019 5:57 pm

Men are only 42% of college students at Tulane, but Tulane wastes bazillions of dollars for the female majority. The time has come to end this discrimination.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.