Tulane enters agreement with Office of Civil Rights, vows to end “sex discrimination” against men

Kila Moore, News Editor

In the fall of 2018, Virginia Title IX attorney Margaret C. Valois filed a complaint against Tulane University and the Newcomb College Institute which claimed that the university discriminated against male students with many of its scholarship opportunities. After an investigation by the Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights, the office determined that at least six of Tulane’s scholarships violated Title IX’s law against sex discrimination.

Following the decision, Tulane entered an agreement with OCR to implement Title IX training for its administrators to prevent discrimination in financial assistance and other campus opportunities.

In a resolution letter between OCR and Tulane, the university agrees to train administrators along Title IX’s requirements. According to the letter, the training must address “Title IX’s prohibition of sex discrimination (including sex discrimination against men) including with respect to participation criteria for experiential learning opportunities, programs, and student organizations.”

OCR officials will monitor Tulane’s progress in this initiative moving forward. The university is expected to be fully compliant by September 6, 2019.

The Hullabaloo will continue to publish updates as this story develops.